Odd sound coming from my stovepipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emt1581

Minister of Fire
Jul 6, 2010
PA
I've had my VC Encore 2in1 for a few weeks now and I LOVE it!!!

Now everyday when I get home from work I open the damper, load it with wood, and open the airflow all the way. Then I let it burn like that for about an hour before closing it off again. I was told to do this several times to help prevent creosote.

However, a few minutes ago, when I closed the damper, I heard what sounded like sand and pebbles being dropped down the stovepipe.

My guess is that it's creosote and by re-opening the damper I can allow that to be burned up. But I'm concerned it may be something else that may lead to a chimney fire.

Any clue what I heard and how normal/common it is?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

Yeah that is either creosote burning or flaking off th epiping & chimney. Mine does that when I crank up the the flue gas temp. As long as you have a good safe lined chimney you should be all set.

Wyld Bill said:
Yeah that is either creosote burning or flaking off th epiping & chimney. Mine does that when I crank up the the flue gas temp. As long as you have a good safe lined chimney you should be all set.

Oh ok. So it's a good thing then and not something to worry about?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

Creosote that has accumulated to the point of "raining" down into the stove is a problem in my mind.

If you think you have creosote falling that you can hear, then you should climb up top and pop the cap for a good look.
ASAP

I do believe I would be having a look up or down that pipe...

Pagey said:
Creosote that has accumulated to the point of "raining" down into the stove is a problem in my mind.
+1 that just cant be good. clean the chimney.

Hearing the flakes fall down the chimney on a new pipe is fairly common.
It will stop doing that in the near future. Yes, keep an eye on what is building up, up top.

Hogwildz said:
Hearing the flakes fall down the chimney on a new pipe is fairly common.
It will stop doing that in the near future. Yes, keep an eye on what is building up, up top.

What is the significance of it being a new pipe? Does it have to get seasoned/broken in or something?

-Emt1581

Had the same thing happen to me in the first few weeks of running the stove . . . sound of cornflakes being poured down the stove pipe . . . figured I was still being a nervous nelly and just wasn't running the stove to the proper temp . . . getting some thermometers helped a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.