odd source of wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pyper

Jan 5, 2010
Deep South
When we bought our house 10 years ago, the home inspector noted that when they poured the porch slab they left wooden form work and that it should be removed. Well I put a little effort into that, and got out everything that was in contact with the ground, but I quickly realized why they had left it in place. It's a bear to remove.

Well now fast forward and we have a wood stove and guess what? The form work is red oak. I took some of it out and it appears that there's about 1 cubic foot per linear foot of porch, so there ought to be 20 cubic feet (or maybe a bit more) to remove total. I split a piece this morning and it was 14% moisture content.

I wish I had thought about it in November, but oh well -- it ought to make some great fires next winter!

Status
Not open for further replies.