odd venting, pipe is vented into the dirt!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wood Heat Stoves

Minister of Fire
i usually dont start many threads here, but here is one i've never seen--what do you guys think?
a customer sent me this picture, she was aking for help with a whitfield /i id'd the model as an advantage plus from another pic.

i'm advising her to add a tee, and run the vent up above her roofline...

Dear Dave, this is the stove I had a fire tragedy with. During 80-100mph winds the fire in the pellet box traveled up the auger and caught 40lbs of pellets on fire in the hopper. When we came home that evening smoke was rolling out of the walk out basement and the upstairs. We have been dealing with the smoke damage ourselves because we have a $1000.00 insurance deductible. The boys in our family have turned the basement into a construction zone so it is very dusty, and I haven't cleaned it all up all
summer.

On the outside pipe, we have tried many different caps and contraptions. In Victor Colorado above us they have a "H" designed pipe on stoves and chimney's or one that is shaped in an "A" design because of the high changing winds; which I can't find in one piece. Even the place we bought them from originally sent up his man to help and he had problems getting the adjustments set where it wouldn't turn itself off.

I also need a quiet attic fan to draw the heat out of the basement to the upstairs. This pellet stove will heat the basement to 80degrees and the upstairs will be a freezing 60 degrees. If you know where to get one I would really appreciate it! I'm not having any luck. I only have found 1 that was $50.00. When we used a bathroom exhaust fan and put a pipe in front of the pellet stove for the blower heat to travel up through a floor vent we were able to reduce our propane used down by 400 gallons a year!!! This has been an ongoing problem we have been working on for the past 14 years since moving up here.
end quote

Attachments

• cumley Pellet Stove vent.jpg
    cumley Pellet Stove vent.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 387
  • Pellet Outer Vent.jpg
    Pellet Outer Vent.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 391
her reply:
No it's not vented into the ground it does look like that from the picture.
It's really 12 inches off the ground. There used to be a curved peace in addition to the flexible on but it broke off. Since none of the caps would work with the wind we have we put a flexible tube on in the shape of an S. I think the guys just bumped it with the motorcycles this summer.
We have had to have some sort of curve or turn on it.
end quote

anyone experienced with installs n mountain peaks with 80-100mph winds??

Never seen a wind proof cap like that one! That must really enhance the stove preformance too! Love the hearth pad wow! What a total mess. She had some one go there to look at it? Oh my, Hope they weren't the ones that installed the wind cap! I see law suite with this danger danger!

I would also suggest she move the stove upstairs were they can feel the heat! Basement install, Hmm! How many sqft she trying to heat with that stove?

Just when we thought we have seen it all! Oh boy!

like the lack of a wall thimble

I dont think that is pellet vent ither looks like B vent

Wood Heat Stoves said:
yes, her local "chimney pro" did the work

Wow...where can I contact him? Love his work! Rick

Wood Heat Stoves said:
hearthtools said:

The Doc is back online! how was the summer Rod?
SUMMER SUCKED! I hate summer
call me when you have a chance

hearthtools said:
Wood Heat Stoves said:
hearthtools said:

The Doc is back online! how was the summer Rod?
SUMMER SUCKED! I hate summer
call me when you have a chance

im about out of here for the day, i'll give you a shout early next week~~

first dont think there is a very good chance the wind blew the fire up into the hopper i would say the stove was dirtty the wind would have blown the pellets out of the pot not the fire up into the hopper

Status
Not open for further replies.