Ode To A Homestead

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kniffin50

Aug 9, 2008
in the notch- ct.
I have been burning my Homestead for almost a month in my basement that is yet to be finished off. I can not say how happy I am with this stove.You may not belive this but after ten hours I still have a good bake of coals the stones are still giving off heat.Just lately has the temp really dipped down into the teens at night and the low 30's during the day. Granted I have a Regencey i2400 in the upstairs fireplace the house so far is 78 most of the time.
But I spend most of my time in the basement doing stuff and this stove is so nice to watch burn my wife calls down, what the .... are you doing down there?Sure sometimes it puffs back if you open the door to quickly, but hey I love the smell of a goodfire. Ihave had a good share of stoves down here.And this one has made me feel best about the cost to be happy ratio. I love this stove and when it goes upstairs to go into where the regency is our the sunroom we will be adding on ,in it's place will go a product from Hearthstone.
Rusty

I love my Homestead. Fire box is a little smaller than I wanted but its such a beautiful stove. What temp do you get the stone surface up to?

I can get it to 500-600if I want to but I chose to run it a little cooler .I have five ft. of pipe out of the stove thru a thimble into 19ft of metalbestess on the exterior.
Rusty

I can get these burns by stuffing it with splits that are matched in siZe. It took me many years to realilize that the time spent to get the wood to "come togeather in the stove" is time well spent.
Rusty

Status
Not open for further replies.