Of apple cider and mixed nuts.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fishingpol

Minister of Fire
Jul 13, 2010
Merrimack Valley, MA
In the past few weeks I have been buying bags of mixed nuts to crack and eat for snacks, particularly in the evening when on this site. Just run of the mill hazelnuts, walnuts, pecans, etc... I wash them down with a glass of cold apple cider. What is it about this time of year that brings about a craving for this? I have no desire to drink cider in the warm months, unless it is a hard cider. I only buy the mixed nuts around the holidays too. Any thoughts?

It reminds me of "nesting". Be very, very, careful.

Just a continuation of holiday tradition for me.

I'm old enough to remember knocking chestnuts don out of the tree, whacking them open with a rock and roasting them. Once literally over an open fire. Popcorn too. (over the fire in the fireplace )

Still have to have that bowl of fruit and a bowl of nuts with a nutcracker. (the wooden soldier one a kid broke, but it still gets taken out for Christmas )
and damn, even walnuts are getting pricey.

Seasonal foods are good for you. Far better than craving asparagus at this time of the year.

fishinpol, we're still drinking cider that we made back in October. Dang it is good. So yesterday we got a package in the mail. It was full of pecans! Last spring I let some folks hunt turkeys on our place and seems they are very thankful. So are we.

Homemade cider, nice! Years ago we had a local cider mill on the other side of town. My neighbor used to bring his apples down for pressing. Those were the good days. I think I'll go pour a glass now.

Not a fan of cider, but I like egg nog. Haven't been able to find it in the stores yet though.

It has been out since Halloween around here. I'm probably on my 4 or 5th half gallon now. :sick: Shared with the family of course...

Hard cider is good in the winter too. I have 5 gallons ready to bottle so I've been emptying the last of the previous 5 gallon batch in anticipation.

Making cider has turned into a community event here. Always seem to be more folks eager to give us apples than come over and turn the wheel on the masher though.

And if you don't want the cider to turn, just keep in refrigerator and loosen the cap. Or freeze it.

Status
Not open for further replies.