1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

# of drive link differences..

Post in 'The Gear' started by Jay H, May 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jay H

Jay H New Member

Loc:
    NJ
    Checking out replacement saw chains for my Makita UC4000, for Oregon chain links:

91VG
    or
    91VX

both have two choices in drive links for my 16" bar, 56 or 58.. Why would there be 2 more links on the same length given the same chain pitch. And second question, what would be the difference between the two, would one be better than the other????

More drive links, more pins, more chain stretch?

Jay

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. tw40x81

tw40x81 Member

Loc:
    Northwest NJ
    91VG is a low kickback chain for the casual user. The 91VX has no anti-kickback features and is only available from servicing dealers (no big box stores). The number of drive links may change due to a different bar perhaps. As far as I know the links are the same size.
  3. Jay H

Jay H New Member

Loc:
    NJ
    Yup, I know the differences between the two models but each model has two more identical types, one with 56 and one with 58.

I believe I have the 58 one as that is stamped on the drive links on the chain... I'm just thinking.

Maybe it has to do with the height of the bar, a taller bar given the same length and chain pitch would have a larger circumference and need more links... or am I talking out of my *ss? A taller bar or perhaps a bigger drive sprocket...

Jay
  4. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Bars with the Intenz chain adjustment feature built into the bar use two less links than standard bars.
  5. Jay H

Jay H New Member

Loc:
    NJ
    Bingo, that makes sense, as I have the 58 and Oregon makes a 56 which I guess is for use with their Intensz thing...

Jay
  6. computeruser

computeruser Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    East Lansing, MI
    True bar length (not every 20" bar is truly a 20" bar...), bar tip radius, number of teeth on the sprocket, etc., all contribut to the difference. Oregon's narrow-nose bars, the DoubleGuard bars for example, are generally a hair longer than their wider-nose bars (Pro91).
  7. precaud

precaud Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sunny New Mexico
    Jay, my UC4000 uses 56 link in the VX.
  8. hornett22

hornett22 New Member

Loc:
    Glastonbury,CT
    most drive link amounts are like husqvarna.

stihl on the other hand likes to be different.they are usually a one or two drive links shorter than everyone else.
  9. Gooserider

Gooserider Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Northeastern MA (near Lowell)
    Bottom line - best bet is to bring the saw to the shop with you and verify that it fits.

Next best is to count the links on YOUR saw

Third best is to use the applications book, and be sure to get an exchange guarantee if it doesn't fit...

Gooserider
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.