% of total heating home via woodburnig

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

% of total heating home via woodburnig

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

adrpga498

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2005
New Jersey
Survey:
0 to 20%
20 to 40
40 to 60
60 to 80
80 to 100
I know this has been discussed before but I thought I would return the survey for some of the newer members.
My woodstove supplies 90% of my heat needs. Oil burner fires 5am for a few minutes during the coldest mornings in Jan & feb. Other wise the stove carries the load for the remainder of the day.

Wood is the only heat source except for some oil filled radiator space heaters on thermostats for emergency or away.

I heat my house about 97% wood heat. Lights,appliances, etc. account for the other 3%

The top half of my house gets 70% of my wood heat, the bottom half 30%.

i would say 50% because i have a small insert -

weekends it's running all the time and a few coals to get it going in the morning but weekdays no one is here to feed it

oil burner is set to 60 and i used 160 gallons of oil last year and that includes hot water

I would say about 80%. I use the 45 degree as my rule, if it's 45 or below by 7 PM which gives me time to do a startup fire and a decent load up before bed. We like the house around 75 degrees in the house and at 52 it's too cold not to have heat but in my opinion too warm for the fire so the propane comes on. Once it's get real cold the propane only comes on when the schedule don't permit or when I'm sicker then a dog - hopefully not this year!

Rockey said:
I heat my house about 97% wood heat. Lights,appliances, etc. account for the other 3%
+1
I'm always surprised how it will stay above 20 C (70 F) in our house when outside the temperature is only 9 C (48 F) without any backup heating (furnace or wood). That heat has to be coming from somewhere. (lights?, computers?, hot water tank?, cooking?)

I really didn't know where I should cast my vote. In the Summer my heat is 100% electric in floor heat. In Spring and Fall, natural gas takes the lion's share of that percentage and wood supplements depending on outdoor temperature. As it gets colder, wood takes a greater share. Last Winter I had 800 watts of electric, averaged $2 per day for gas (DHW and cooking share that) and burned around 8 cord.

What percentage should I have voted?

Carbon_Liberator said:
Rockey said:
+1
I'm always surprised how it will stay above 20 C (70 F) in our house when outside the temperature is only 9 C (48 F) without any backup heating (furnace or wood). That heat has to be coming from somewhere. (lights?, computers?, hot water tank?, cooking?)
Solar gain? Body heat?

80% last year, this year we hope to do better. great question. pete

its my first full winter with the new insert...hoping to get about 70 percent with wood. Natural gas makes up the other 30,,,at least I hope..

100% wood for 4 years. A backup heat source and ridding our house of the propane fired water heater is somewhere on the to do list.

I voted 60-80 but its probably closer to 80% or more. I'll let you all know after my second year burning.

I am a 100% wood firelog manufacturer and it would really be interesting to see where the people who take the poll are from?
I am from Washington state.

Thanks
Virginia

Hey there...

Care to add the square footage of your house in your replies? I'm considering attempting to heat a 1500 sq.ft. saltbox, and am curious to see what others are up to!

100% for the last 37 years. These EPA stoves take a little more maintenance but they sure put out the heat. We are very happy with the T6.

95% or maybe less depending on how long our -40 cold snaps will last. Burnt 120ltrs or 25 imp gallons of oil last season and 7-8 cords of evil spruce and pine.

littlesmokey said:
Boy, do I feel discriminated against, again.... What about us pelletheads? Don't we deserve a slot? You ain't bein' fair. :-S

Actually NO!!! How can you compare the two. You are more comparable to burning oil with a little more effort.( Minus the carbon footprint of course.) Instead of a 5 gallon pail of pellets from your garage you could be going in and out of the house with a pail of oil to your furnace. A bit of a novelty isnt it? Once the power goes out of course the funs over. :shut: You asked. :lol: Now go back to your own sandbox and tell Macman and Ernest 4 I sent ya. :)
OH ya and another thing, whats it like to scrounge for pellets, any luck?
All in fun...
N of 60

north of 60 said:
littlesmokey said:
Boy, do I feel discriminated against, again.... What about us pelletheads? Don't we deserve a slot? You ain't bein' fair. :-S

Actually NO!!! How can you compare the two. You are more comparable to burning oil with a little more effort.( Minus the carbon footprint of course.) Instead of a 5 gallon pail of pellets from your garage you could be going in and out of the house with a pail of oil to your furnace. A bit of a novelty isnt it? Once the power goes out of course the funs over. :shut: You asked. :lol: Now go back to your own sandbox and tell Macman and Ernest 4 I sent ya. :)
OH ya and another thing, whats it like to scrounge for pellets, any luck?
All in fun...
N of 60

You're just jealous 'cause no pellets are made your way and the best stove come from Washington and you have to pay for freight on stove and fuel.

We're just like adrpga498...when it's real cold the propane will automatically come on at 0600. Unless of coarse the stove is cranked up by then.

My wood stove supplies about 80% of my heat. More like 100% on 35-45 degree days. But as the temp. drops into the teens and twenties and lower the heat pump picks up more of the load. And of course the heat pump is less efficient at colder temps. and therefore disproportionally more expensive to operate.

Remember, if you have a back-up and use it once it's 80-100%, not 100%.
If you use your back-up system even a few times a year it really inflates the 100% claims / statements.
Remember the cost/price of your back-up, although not part of the question, is not considered in the connotation when one claims 100%.

A similar statement, and even I have made this slip of the tongue, is Free Wood.
It's never totally free. Close sometimes and nearly full price other times when all cost elements are considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.