Of wood and woodsmen (woodspeople?)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AJS56

Burning Hunk
Mar 5, 2012
Central Lower Mich
Ok... I'm not a prolific poster here. Heck, I'm not even a blip on the posting radar. But I do get on and read a fair amount of the posts, my favorite forum being this - The Wood Shed.

I have and do learn a lot here about harvesting, processing and burning wood, and that alone is more than enough reason to be thankful for this forum and the good folks posting here. But I'm thinking some of my biggest enjoyment comes from the pictures and discussions here, and the fact that to me they represent and remind me of the enjoyment and satisfaction I get from harvesting and processing my fuelwood, the warmth and enjoyment it brings to me and my family over the winter, and knowing that there are others out there who feel likewise.

Like many of you, I really enjoy my time spent in the woods and in the splitting/stacking area. For me it is usually a solo endeavor, with time for solitude and reflection as I catch my breath or just pause to breathe in the fresh crisp air and listen to the faint sound of the breeze through the trees, or maybe spy that rabbit or squirrel doing their daily business off in the distance. It provides exercise that I sorely need and I find it enjoyable - unlike going to the gym.

I think about our predecessors who had to do this just to survive, without modern tools and backup furnaces that we have, and I realize how fortunate I am to be able to do this as an enjoyable and yet productive "hobby" rather than as a means of survival. I enjoy the process, and has many have said here, the warm feeling that I get just seeing those stacks of wood ready and waiting to keep us warm in the coming winter(s).

Many (most?) of my family, friends, and acquaintences seem a bit perplexed about it all. And that's ok. You either get it or you don't. I did run into a rural "neighbor" the other day who is into it also. We had quite a chat and it was nice. We concluded that we aren't crazy after all!! My wife gets that I enjoy it, though I'm not sure she understands exactly why, but she truly appreciates the wood burning process and even the cleaning and chores that come with it over the winter. So while she may only occasionally come with me into the woods, she gets it, and we make a good team. For that I am thankful.

Having an online community of other folks who "get it" is invaluable. So... I just want to say that seeing all the discussions and all the pictures on Hearth.com helps to warm me not unlike making and burning our own wood does. Thanks and keep up the good work, good woodspeople!

-AJ

You are in good company here at Hearth.com.

Reactions: ScotO
A post like that is like yelling out U-S-A at a GOP fundraiser.

Reactions: fahmahbob
I agree 110% with everything you said, its scary how similar a lot of what you said are things I've thought. This forum is a fantastic "club" of people who "get it."

Glad that you are a part of the forum, glad you have learned a lot like me, and I would encourage you to post up some pictures or join in the conversation more often if you are able. I was a lurker for over a year (not even registered) and then I registered and didnt post much. I have become more active over the last few months, and I find I am getting even more out of the forum than I was.

But either way, happy to have you here, and well put!

That's indeed a very nice read, glad you're here & enjoying the company.

Now for your very first picture, please post a copy of the check that Craig sent you.:p

J/K really. Post more & enjoy the conversations if you are so inclined, it sounds as though you may be able to provide a fair amount of experience & wisdom to the forum. A C

Basically we are all nuts and this is our support group. "Own" it and "Embrace" it.;lol;)

Ok... I'm not a prolific poster here. Heck, I'm not even a blip on the posting radar. But I do get on and read a fair amount of the posts, my favorite forum being this - The Wood Shed.

I have and do learn a lot here about harvesting, processing and burning wood, and that alone is more than enough reason to be thankful for this forum and the good folks posting here. But I'm thinking some of my biggest enjoyment comes from the pictures and discussions here, and the fact that to me they represent and remind me of the enjoyment and satisfaction I get from harvesting and processing my fuelwood, the warmth and enjoyment it brings to me and my family over the winter, and knowing that there are others out there who feel likewise.

Like many of you, I really enjoy my time spent in the woods and in the splitting/stacking area. For me it is usually a solo endeavor, with time for solitude and reflection as I catch my breath or just pause to breathe in the fresh crisp air and listen to the faint sound of the breeze through the trees, or maybe spy that rabbit or squirrel doing their daily business off in the distance. It provides exercise that I sorely need and I find it enjoyable - unlike going to the gym.

I think about our predecessors who had to do this just to survive, without modern tools and backup furnaces that we have, and I realize how fortunate I am to be able to do this as an enjoyable and yet productive "hobby" rather than as a means of survival. I enjoy the process, and has many have said here, the warm feeling that I get just seeing those stacks of wood ready and waiting to keep us warm in the coming winter(s).

Many (most?) of my family, friends, and acquaintences seem a bit perplexed about it all. And that's ok. You either get it or you don't. I did run into a rural "neighbor" the other day who is into it also. We had quite a chat and it was nice. We concluded that we aren't crazy after all!! My wife gets that I enjoy it, though I'm not sure she understands exactly why, but she truly appreciates the wood burning process and even the cleaning and chores that come with it over the winter. So while she may only occasionally come with me into the woods, she gets it, and we make a good team. For that I am thankful.

Having an online community of other folks who "get it" is invaluable. So... I just want to say that seeing all the discussions and all the pictures on Hearth.com helps to warm me not unlike making and burning our own wood does. Thanks and keep up the good work, good woodspeople!

-AJ

AJ, that is a great post. It sort of reflects many of the feelings others on this forum have. It is good that you posted it because others may read it and suddenly the light will go on and they may think that perhaps they really should get into this wood burning. Better yet, those that are already into wood burning might start thinking that they can improve what they are already doing. Case in point is that when I got on this forum I say very little about folks knowing how to dry their wood and how long to dry it. Now the forum is loaded with information about this topic. Still some bad but most good information. Let's us all hope that we can keep improving. I seriously hope to learn something every day that I come to this forum. I also hope that continues.

Basically we are all nuts and this is our support group. "Own" it and "Embrace" it.;lol;)

What he said...

And very nice post; like others said, you either get it or you don't....you're either in the club or not....wif us or agin us...something like that....

"Let your firewood freak flag fly"!!!! ::-) :p :)

Very well said!
Proof that I am not nuts.

I'm a Psychologist and I proclaim that we are all nuts, but at least we're in it together.

There is nothing, and I mean absolutely NOTHING, that makes me feel at peace quite like being out in the woods does. I love my wife, my kids, my entire family more than any personal endeavor or material thing in this world, but the love I have for the woods (and being a woodsman) is totally different. It's a passion for the way things were done in the past, a respect for those that did it that way because they HAD to do it that way, and the knowing that my family is warm and cozy all winter long because of my hard labor. I embrace being out in the woods with my very soul, and from reading your post I know you (and most every other member who dare enter this forum) does just as much. You've entered a unique "brotherhood" here on The Hearth, lots of great guys and gals all with the same passion about woodburning. Welcome to the site. And like Dexter said, lets see them stacks brother!!

As has been said many times already.......NICE POST. I too enjoy being in the woods. I quit cutting about late April this year and have lately been thinking about taking a little stroll through a few of the woods I cut in. Just getting the itch to get out there and look around a little bit. Nothing much more peaceful than that.

I love being in the woods even just walking,taking pictures,looking for certain wildflowers (city folk call them weeds ;)) watching/listening for different birds & animals,sitting at a bench taking a break or morel hunting in the Spring.But working in the woods,even just a few hours weekly in spare time is one of the things I enjoy almost as much life itself.

Very well said! I'm relatively new to woodburning, and didn't realize how much I would enjoy this site. I would add, after processing for 8 straight months, I feel healthier, and splitting wood is a great stress reliever.

Well I am nuts . . . but I still agreed with everything posted by the OP . . . except perhaps to say that for me it really isn't so much a hobby as wood is now my main source of heating. I mean to say, I suppose I could afford the cost of heating oil, but then there wouldn't be much left in the budget for those other pleasures in life . . . such as buying groceries.

I was gonna say that this post seemed very FFJ-ish in nature, but then I realized that it was a little too truncated to be something you'd write ;)

Reactions: firefighterjake
Nice thread.

A bunch of nutty folks together, sharing knowledge & ideas on burning wood, makes quit a team.
We are either "more nutty" or "more smart"

I believe "smarter" applies.
(but the nutty part gets an "honorable mention") :)

I get all the "back to basics", self-reliance, good exercise, time in nature, mental washing machine aspects of making firewood/woodburning and TOTALLY agree on all of them. There's also something to be said about making fire and using power tools (chainsaw, truck, atv, splitter, tractor, etc.) that makes it enjoyable too.

Nice post.

Reactions: Danno77 and ScotO
Status
Not open for further replies.