Off all week

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wg_bent

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Poughkeepsie, NY
Well, I'm off work all week. Let's hear about the warm weather Christmas holiday projects...

Here's mine.

1. Finish the basement. - install a cable box, 1 electric outlet and sheetrock. Then finish about 10 peices of laminate flooring.
2. Install 22 6'x8' stockade fencing panels between me and the 2 Rotweilers.
3. I think that should do it.

Since June I have lined two chimneys, rebuilt two stoves and replaced one twice. Replaced the oven range, dishwasher and microwave range hood. Along the way I sold and delivered seven Jotul cast iron gas stoves single handedly.

I am tired. I don't care how warm it is I ain't doin nothin!

You don't even want to hear again all I did this spring/summer/fall. I'm with BB, time for a rest. Though I will be heading out close to you Warren at the end of the week for my mother's 98th birthday.

BeGreen said:
You don't even want to hear again all I did this spring/summer/fall. I'm with BB, time for a rest. Though I will be heading out close to you Warren at the end of the week for my mother's 98th birthday.

My man had I attempted all that you did this year, you picked up your whole house for gosh sakes, they would have had to put me in a box by July.

Where to begin........
1.Extend hearth
2. Run duct from basment in main to addition rooms via the attic in addition.
3. addition 8" tongue & groove pine walls, finished ceiling a couple weeks ago, turned out great. and no spackling & sanding woohoo!!!!!!!
4. finish electrical in addition rooms, most done, a few more outlets & switches, finish wiring to sub panel, run main 100amp feeder from main breaker box in basement to sub panelin garage.
5.Lights & ceiling fans in addition.
6. Doors inside addition.
7. Break through wall to main house where I will be building a bathroom for addition. Plumbing in low crawlspace, god I hate that.
8. Laminate flooring in entire addition.
9. Set up new office in addition.
10. and never ending.... fix previous owners do it yourself rig jobs with electrical, ductwork, plumbing, siding with no "j" channel on some walls.
Stop a few basement leaks. Clear out basement drain which has something large blocking (suspected sabotage from previous owner not liking the price he agree to sell for). And some day clean up the grounds. almost 9 acres, with misc. wood, steel & other crap previous owner had stashed in the high growth when I looked at place.
I'm thinking I am on the 20 year plan. And I still love this place. So all worth it.
Some day get my bedroom set up in said finished addition, so I can get the f off the couch, which I been sleeping on since July, and its hurting me worse than a 350 pound corn fed nympho biach riding atop me while I'm passed out.
I said to myself the other night, Its not so cold in the new benroom to be, maybe I could set the bed up and bundle up at night LOL.(no heat there yet).
Really sucks when ya ain't rolling in dough & doing it all yourself to make it all possible. But that sense of a job accomplished and well done with your own hands....priceless. Sorry for the blabber.

I have been doing the same O same O for 30 years. never ending and the honey do list also never ending.

I wonder how I ever completed anything without a honey do list this weekend I painted the hall and stairway.
Anybody that has painted a stair opening up to two levels knows what a PITA that is. Naturally the wife picked out a paint collor that did not cover with one coat.
Thank god it was not Home Crapo paint or I still would not be finished. Had to be done before Christmas

elkimmeg said:
I have been doing the same O same O for 30 years. never ending and the honey do list also never ending.

I wonder how I ever completed anything without a honey do list this weekend I painted the hall and stairway.
Anybody that has painted a stair opening up to two levels knows what a PITA that is. Naturally the wife picked out a paint collor that did not cover with one coat.
Thank god it was not Home Crapo paint or I still would not be finished. Had to be done before Christmas

OMG I feel for ya man!!!!! I did whole house last year to sell it, Inside & out. And yes the stairwell of a two story really sucks.
I had same problem with the coverage of old paint. I bought this" one coat" crap, well one coat is bull sh-t. I did one coat anyways. The corners were bleeding through. I took an extension pole, taped a 2" brush to it, and got all the corners with it, then said looks fine, looked away and sold the hell hole.
I feel for you man!!!!!!

Warren is that your list or a honey do list?

Speaking of the better half Ellen
Santa took very good care of her, Diamond ear rings Digital camera. I got tired of hearing how outdated my Hp 2.1 gig camera was. Got her a fujifilm 7.3. with movie
capability 15 minutes on a 1 gig card. My daughter got me a watch that records miles walked, elevation, and also baromenteic pressure and forcast the weather. A $15 timex would have been fine. I guess it records distances. Now I can hit the correct club to the green. Also a stop watch that beeps me its time to close the damper and light off the cat. For all I know it has a gps device so my wife can track me. still learning all its functions

Lets see, this year:
Installed a SS chimney liner to the basement.
Cut to pieces the furnace so it would fit down the door.
Lugged it through said door.
Welded it all back together. (BTW Charmaster DOES sell a bolt-together version for such an eventuality! Would be better if they told people at some point.)
Installed furnace and all the duct work.
Gassed all neighborhood with smoke on first few attempts at using furnace. Now its ok.
Fixed 2 leaks in basement.
Killed 500 spider crickets and got rid of their nest. Nasty little f'ers.
Installed 13 honeycomb insulating blinds.
Changed garage door opener.
Installed crane in garage.
Cleaned 2 chimneys.
Made log chute for basement.
Changed rotor on wife's car.
Dimmers installed throughout house.
Fixed fridge - broken starter.

And that's all I can remember right now. All with a 4-year-old and another which arrived this summer, of course.
Thank god for great wives!

-D

Wow, where to begin. Let's see about this year, which was only a 1/2 year for me.

-Built 10x12 mudroom from the ground up, including wiring, and plumbing for w/d (this was for the dogs)
-Rebuilt a dead Cub Cadet 125 for a guy who gave me a complete non-running Cub Cadet 102 in trade
-Dog proofed my fence including 4 ft 2x4 green mesh on the outside, 2' 1/2 hardware cloth on the inside, and the same hardware cloth buried underground
-Replaced about 30 feet of crappy fence, and added above treatment
-Complete demolition on the old basement setup which was awful, saved lumber for garage shelves later
-Building out basement to what will eventually be a mother-in-law suite/apartment... full kitchenette and bathroom added, still not done
-Leveled out the floors in my house which involved jacking up about 1/2 of the entire home
-Stripped down and painted the 3 front windows on the front porch, re-glazing where necessary
-Restored old door surround on front door
-Added entries to both the attic and crawlspace for access from inside the home
-Re-sided one gable end of the home
-Patched roof in a couple places
-Last but not least, added a woodstove :)
-A bunch of things I can't remember or are too little to mention

I think I'll be done in maybe 10 years working by myself. By that time, I'm sure I'll have other projects on the list, lol. This week? Nothing but relaxing for the most part.

-Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.