off and on noise with Hydroflex 60

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

melagoo

Oct 29, 2011
Pennsylvania
Hi
We have a Harman Hydroflex 60. It sounds like it keeps turning something off and on. We only hear this when it is trying to re-heat.
I'm wondering if it is the ignitor or a problem with a sensor. The front indicator lights don't change when this is happening.
This is our second winter using the unit. And, we have never heard it doing this before. And, I'm not sure if this is related or not but it's showing that the hopper is empty even though there is still some pellets in there...enough that it covers the sensor.
Any idea what could be the problem?

Thanks.

~ Melanie

Please explain what you mean by "We only hear this when it is trying to re-heat".Is the switch on the controller in manual or auto.

The noise that you refer to is when the fire is pulsating, correct? If so, check for a restriction in the outside air inlet. When was the last time the combustion blower was removed, cleaned, also make sure it turns freely.

That was cleaned during the last week of January.
I just took off the top now to look at the area and it's black instead of brown soot. Hmm, cause it's not buring correctly?
The fan spins fine.

Yes, you can hear the noise best in the video when I go to the back of the unit.

And, here is an update....the unit turned off and the status light started to blink 6 times (as if it's out of pellets) but it has plenty of pellets in the hopper.

Thanks. :)

It isn’t burning correctly, the reason for the 6 blink error, some things that may be causing the issue from the owners manual:

A 6 blink status may be caused by several things:
1. Blocked or partially blocked flue.
2. Blocked or partially blocked inlet air.
a. Backdraft damper on the inlet pipe may be
stuck closed.
b. If outside air is installed, the inlet cover may
be blocked.
3. The air chamber under the burnpot may be filled
with fines and small bits of ash.
4. The holes in the burnpot may be getting filled with
ash or carbon buildup.
5. Combustion blower fan may need cleaned.

Hi.
We took the cap off the exhaust pipe that leads to the chimney and cleaned that out.
Getting the seal off to open the cap took alot of work.
It didn't look that bad but in the back of it we could see some buildup.
Now, when I turned the boiler on it works without the on and off noise.

Thank you for your help. It was much appreciated.

You're welcome, glad to see that the issue is resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.