off brand insert advice needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smiley

Oct 23, 2006
I picked This fireplace insert up 3 or 4 yrs ago for hauling it away. It appears to have had almost no use and the new owner of the house it was in, installed a pellet insert. I was scared off from installing it by the horror stories of creosoted chimneys and houses burning down.

While browsing the web, I saw the JUCA non airtight insert and read their website. According to them, the horror stories are because of the airtight inserts. The JUCA and my unit are not airtight and both just set in the fireplace opening with no pipe to the flue. This free fow supposedly keeps the creosote problem down, just like a normal fireplace. The designs of the JUCA and mine are similar, with the jacket surrounding the firebox, but mine has vertical instead of horizontal exchanger tubes.

Everything I found on this sight says to use a ss pipe connection to the chimnney but that's not possible with this design. I'd appreciate advice from anyone with experience with these type units. Especially the safety aspect.
Thanks,
Smiley
PS I don't know why the photo didn't go through good , I tried it twice.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 656
Yikes! There are two of them left!

tyis may sound cruel but that stove is worth nearly $40 at the scrap salvage yard.
Today it canot be installed and comply with modern day codes.Y I doub't you could get a installation permit your insurance company
would never allow it if they knew about it

BTW welcome to hearth.com

Craig,
Thanks for the info. My intention was to use this unit 24-7 this winter to burn up some wood that won't fit in the kitchen stove, because we plan to go to a corn burning insert next year. At the local farm progress show this year, there was a lot of talk about raising corn production for fuel. Also, it was announced last week, that the largest pellet production factory in the world will be built within 10 miles of me. I don't know if that'll bring pellet prices down or not though.
You mention this insert was for occasional use, was that because they might burn out quickly under constant use or is there another reason. If because of burnout, do you think lining it with firebrick would get it through the winter?
When I can find the disc, I'll post some pics of a simple firewood chop saw I built, to cut some of this wood down to stove size.
Thanks,
Smiley

Status
Not open for further replies.