Off brand liners.........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had two installers say they do not use the well known liners, that they use a liner from a company that makes liners out of non-magnetic stainless steel, heavier guage. Any thoughts?

Stainless steel is non-magnetic. Dunno about anything else they're telling you. Rick

Someone said that low quality SS can hold magnets and that is what Duravent and Heatfab, use. He said that higher quality SS won't hold magnets to it and that is how you can tell.

I think that if it'll hold a magnet, it's likely plated....not real stainless steel. Gotta be a bit careful, though, when you're looking at compound (sandwiched) materials like double wall pipe, where the clearances between materials are small, because it may be stainless on one side, and not on the other, with insulation between. The magnet test may not always work, depending on what's on the other side, and how close. Rick

Some stainless steel alloys are magnetic. I beleive it has a lot to do with the amount of nickel in the particular alloy. If that is the case, the more corosion resistant stainless steels with more nickel will be non magnetic. I couldn't find any specifics in my old engineering books.

THEIR ARE DIFFERENT BRANDS OF STAINLESS STEEL

304 non magnetic
201 non magnetic
430 magnetic
409 magnetic...

It's all based on the alloys in the material.. 304 and 201 have more nickel in them while 430 has more chrome... 409 is what is used in your car exhaust.

It would seem to me if it is UL rated, it's probably OK.

Chris

UL has minimum standards that must be met to get their listing. If it is UL listed it will probably be acceptable, but there are grades of quality with any type of product. I would like an 11 gauge Inconel liner. I don't think anyone makes one, and I couldn't afford it if they did.

No doubt there are differences in product life between liners. UL tests are mostly for temperature - I don't think they do extensive salt spray and corrosion tests....and, even if they do, they do not simulate years or decades of use.

I would say that most liners are SAFE to use, but that some will LONG outlast others. All stainless is not the same. There are grades....and manufacturers - yes, some ss even comes from China!

I think, all things being equal, you get what you pay for in SS. Sure, some dealers or sweeps might make a high mark-up and some may not, but in general the top notch stuff (ventinox, heat-fab, fancier stuff from copperfield, etc.) costs more.

If money was tight, I would go with something low priced myself. But if the job was something permanent...hard to replace, etc..... I might try to step up a grade or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.