OFF Highway Tax Refunds

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

atog254

Jan 8, 2009
1st State
I admit, I am new to these forums, but I have done a few searches this morning and would like to offer some tax advice regarding a little known tax law. OFF Highway Tax Refunds

You should check your state's motor tax laws regarding refunds for the OFF Highway usage of gasoline in equipment. (Chain saws, splitters, vehicles used exclusively off road, ATV's, boats, etc) I know what I am telling you, as I retired from the State of Delaware with 25 years as a Tax Auditor! Any gas used for non-highway purposes can qualify for OFF Highway Tax Refunds! (Form MC-3)

Not offered in all states, but if you are using a lot of fuel over a year, it can easily add up! If you are only using small amounts in a year it's not worth the effort, however, you still need to determine how much you are actually using in all off highway equipment combined. At aprox. 25 cents per gallon average state tax, you do the math!

I would check your laws. Not a tax credit - this is a cash refund!

With many states considering increasing the motor fuel taxes due to the current economics, ithis is a way of saving some money!

Keep Warm!

Stove vs Steve

Up here anybody working off road equipment will try to buy off road diesel, just for the very reason you state. And they do also file tax refunds when they have to buy on road fuel for the equipment. Can add up in a hurry.

Status
Not open for further replies.