Off season deals worth waiting for?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdNH

Minister of Fire
Oct 14, 2009
Southern, NH
Here is the question. We know exactly what stove we want - Jotul F500 Oslo

The big question is, do we buy it now and take advantage of the 10% tax credit before it expires as well as the 200$ off sale they have going on it right now.

Or

Do we wait until spring and hope there are some better deals?

We don't have any wood ready to burn right now and we are kinda strapped on spending money from christmas but one of the dealers offers financing.

Are there any deals late in the spring that are worth waiting for?

Get on the phone and call every Jotul dealer within whatever is your maximum radius for picking up a stove. See what they say. Someone recently got one for a fairly good discount at this time of year.

I would call around now . . . since things can also work against you . . . the price of metal, fuel, etc. could go up in the Spring . . . right now you know the deal you're getting.

I don't know how much of a deal you will find on pricing though . . . I know when I called around (granted it was Fall) looking for an Oslo all the quotes I received were within $200 of each other.

I'd try now-you might find someone with a floor model they want gone or someone that wants to relieve themselves of inventory before the end of the year.

Like others have said, make a few phone calls. I got my Alderlea T5 in march of last year. It was a floor model that looked brand new. I picked it up for $1200 cash, which is one hell of a deal. Deals are out there to be had, you just need to call around and find the guys wanting to make a deal.

BeGreen said:
Get on the phone and call every Jotul dealer within whatever is your maximum radius for picking up a stove. See what they say. Someone recently got one for a fairly good discount at this time of year.

+1

I'm not sure they're real off season deals on Jotuls - where generally a company like Woodstock will lower their prices in the Spring. Some folks have got some good deals on the Jotuls and when you add in the 10%, even better.

IMHO, Jotul stoves are some of the best out there - so get moving!

Bill

I think that was CT Burner. . .see "Jotul 400 vs. 500" thread from last week. He found an Oslo for $1900, ~ $25% off. I believe discounts like this are more common in the off season, but it never hurts to look/ask. As for the tax credit, there may be one in 2012 too. You may want to look into what's pending before getting into a hurry to do something in 2011.

I think if I had well-seasoned wood ready to go, I take the discount and credit now and have the stove installed ASAP. The savings of January/February in wood vs. oil/electric/ng etc. would likely make up for a lot of the future savings in discounts. If you have no really dry wood ready to go, I might wait till spring and see how low you can get the stove just past season. The tax credit this year is pretty weak - wouldn't be a major concern for me - year end discounts might be better. Are you sold on Jotul? If not, Englander 30's are very popular stoves and might be had for less that $700 if you hit it right. Get your wood supply now! Cheers!

Edit - just reread your thread - no wood ready to go. I'd wait, as I suggested above. Cheers!

NH_Wood said:
I think if I had well-seasoned wood ready to go, I take the discount and credit now and have the stove installed ASAP. The savings of January/February in wood vs. oil/electric/ng etc. would likely make up for a lot of the future savings in discounts. If you have no really dry wood ready to go, I might wait till spring and see how low you can get the stove just past season. The tax credit this year is pretty weak - wouldn't be a major concern for me - year end discounts might be better. Are you sold on Jotul? If not, Englander 30's are very popular stoves and might be had for less that $700 if you hit it right. Get your wood supply now! Cheers!

Edit - just reread your thread - no wood ready to go. I'd wait, as I suggested above. Cheers!

My thoughts exactly, i have about 4.5 cord of green wood, definitely not ready for burning till next fall earliest. So if i got a stove now it would require buying "seasoned wood" and we all know how that goes. I'm leaning towards waiting. will help to throw some tax refund money at it as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.