Off Season Tips

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kork

Nov 25, 2008
Southern NJ
I was just wondering if anyone has any tips for maintanence/care for the stove during the off season. I know I'll do a thouro cleaning and sweep of the cimmney, but anything else? Was once told that burning a jar candel once a week inside helps prvent moisture from humid weather. Anybody hear of this?
Hank

It's a good idea to take off the blower and clean it out with compressed air...a drop or 2 of oil at each end bearing. Before we got air conditioning we did burn a candle in the old stove only when it got muggy...our other stoves would surface rust...so yeah that helps.

Vacuum what's left out the dead cold stove, do the re-burner tubes, take out that stiff Kaowool fireproof blanket on the top and clean in there too. Clean out the flue pipes too...maybe after you do the chimney.

Once the flue is off you can fashion a tarp over it and with a mask and goggles use some compressed air on all air travel passages...dial the air down at first. Compressed air is the best imo. <----btw that's an option and I do it with the blower off.

Anyone ever use a small damp-rid pail inside ?

In our many moons of burning, the only thing we've ever done was to clean the stove and chimney and replace any gaskets that need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.