Off to a good start

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gpsfool

Oct 17, 2014
Western New York
I started burning wood in Spetember, read these forums daily and learn bunches - thanks! I burned from end of September until 10th of March, 16 hours/day. Stopped as I mostly ran out of dry wood.

My goal is three years ahead on my wood and when possible not paying for it. Burned 2.5 full cords this past year, I bought this, local dealers and off craigslist ads, wood not dry enough, ect...

In September I bought next years wood too, a boatload of Black Walnut logs, price was right but I had to cut/split/stack it. Got 2.5 full cords split and stacked plus probably another full cord waiting to split. Readings show it mostly in the low 20's moisture now.

Now that spring is here getting chances to find free wood - woohoo! Last week I scrounged a face cord of Maple off Craigslist and this week a face cord of 2 year old rounds of Red Oak, both now split and stacked, this is the start of my wood for the 16/17 burning season.

Tonight on the way home, not even looking.... Got a carload of 8" diameter rounds of Arbor Vitae, just cut today, light stuff, supposedly burns like pine.

Arbor vitae is something few of us have burned but it is wood and BTUs are BTUs. Scrounging is a good way to go if you get the right stuff. If I can scrounge a cord of hardwood at street side or go into my woods and cut up dead and down, the street side scrounge will win every time. I can get all I need by just using my own woods but it is not as easy to get to as most scrounges.

If I can scrounge a cord of hardwood at street side or go into my woods and cut up dead and down, the street side scrounge will win every time. I can get all I need by just using my own woods but it is not as easy to get to as most scrounges.
This is what I've found as well. Currently cutting standing dead red oak on a property with hilly terrain. Thankfully he had a lane cleared large enough to get truck access but with the hills it gets tricky clearing/extending the lane and loading the truck on side hills. Found a scrounge i grabbed today during the rain. Wasn't primo oak bit I was able to drive right up to it and load on level ground. 2 truck loads in quarter the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.