Off to install a Donor stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

Because the new owner did not want a lot of publicity. It will be installed today. Also being a Marine VET the local VFW members vollenterred lending a hand

I will take a few pictures and do a write up later

Well I was able to set the stove in the back of the pk truck and set it right down ona piano dolly Boy did this make it easy.

I was able to back the truck up to the door and with planks wheel the stove right in the home.

I made it look easy Next on another piano dolly the same height s the hearth witha frw boards spacing with a car jack rolled it right on to piano dolly and into the back of my truck

With the helpers and sheet metal squares we edged it into place on the blue stone hearth Lined up with the existing connector pipe and all said and done 45 minutes completely setup.

The older Defiant Encore is the first model the 0028 I hope it can be rebuilt and still have many productive years left..

I will download pictures tonight and give a detailed descriprion to the current used Encore.

I love it when a job is well planned and unfolds exactly according to plans. All the help we had and really.. I could have done it alone just like doing my stoves here.

Keyman thanks for the phone call offrer of help but by the time you got here it would have been done. And going to Tom's tavern is not the best image to publisize here on the hearth

Well more details latter after Fishing Keyman Pm me your cell # I will return the call

Great job, Elk!
sounds like you had all the help you needed, but if you plan on doing another soon and want a hand anytime - just let me know - it would be a good chance to get out that way again, and as you know - I wouldn't mind a visit to Tom's

Thanks Harley and GVA I got even another stove I was talking to keyman about. I returned his call when I was fishing I caught so many bass my wrist ached Too bad most were on the smaller end but it was fun. Some of the ponds I fish might require a 2 mile walk into the woods so quiet totally in touch with nature. A very relaxing calming way to spend time. I really believe I could be a woodsman and live off the land any time

I have another Used stove that was given to me so Harley Keyman or GVA on any other New Endland members if you know of a really needy familly that could use some help maybe we can make it happen. I have to check the local dealers to see if they have any in storage they removed and want to get rid of them. I can rehab them for the donor program It would be nice to get the late 80's or early 90's so that we install EPA models and more enviorememtaly friendly stoves. Hey manufactures and distributors out there I willing to replace my Intrepid II
and donate it to the program. Its not hunting season but Englander it is still possible to bag an Elk.. Jotul North America same goes to you Dane Do not feel left out

Here is a slide show of the process photo 1 the red Encore loaded into the truck
2 installled
3 the old encore being unloaded from the truck and the rest of the older stove which will be rebuilt

This stove has seen 20 years of use the owner never used the. Cat bipass the compartment was full of ash
This model stove one removes the real plate (4 phillips head screws) for complete acces to the cat combustor
the floor grate is bowed and cracked into a c shape both andirons are gone the damper bi pass frame is warped and useless it needs replacing
the top back inter part of the stove where the entrance to the combustor compartment that casting needs to be replaced.

I placed the air compressor hose in the stove and exposed every gasket needing to be replaced including leakage out the griddle the front doors the glass gaskets of the front doors

tha ash pan gasket gone and the door does not shut tight this will be corrected with new gaskets and adjustment of the latch Thee air compressor sets off the ask into a cloud and it also exposed leakage around the top casting. the good news no outer castings are warped or damaged. More good news the ceramic insulated cat combustor compartment is completely in tact
A very expensive item that will not need replacement the original cat may be ok no break down of the ceramic ellements though it should be boiled in equar parte water and vinegar for 10 minutes to see if it remains intact and a total cleaning If it remains in tact I may be ok to use Hard to say it appears to have been never used and years of fly ash actually protected the combustio and ceramic insulated compartment. I have offered this to Goose so that he replaces his smoke dragon he needs rear exit venting and the Encore matches his height restrictions.

He will have to convert the 8" oval to 6" round collar flange sold as an option but tested and approved for 6" opperations. No this stove is not a walk in the park rebuild but the price is right that should make it worth while. Goose if you think either the expense for replacement parts or the amount of work too much let me know.

The other thing this stove was tested and approved to the state of Oregon standards What this means is the state of Oregon had passed simmilar standards a few years before the 1990 EPA standards for all practical comparisons they are the same this stove can be considered EPA phase I compliant Especially if rebuilt witha new cat combustor It can run just as effecient or very close to even modern day stoves surpassing even many new ones today

the slide show link

http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n10/elkimmeg/donor stove/?action=view&current=833e0051.pbw

Nice job and a good deed my man. That stove looks sweet sitting on that hearth. Is that stove painted red or is that the "everburn glow"? %-P

Red enamal is a very expensive process when factories plan to produce red enamal coted castings the cadium is very toxic and that the crews in hazmat like suits can only be exposed to 1,5 hours hen the next crew is brough in Since VC enploy 3 shifts that is the limit of work done enamaling that day This explains why the red enamal stove cost $300 more

The color is called burgandy It would b have been whorehouse red but that name was taken and reserved for PE sumits

When the new owner fire this stove up, I will be there to make sure he learn how to opperate it correctly. I have proof he was not running the past one right

I know his wood is seasoned. I gave a lot that I had to him. You know someone has to look out for our aging Vets

elkimmeg said:
You know someone has to look out for our aging Vets

Ya got my vote on that one for sure.

From my Gaelic background,"Good on 'ya." If Goose doesn't take the stove, crate it and ship to me. :smirk:

Seriously, think this deserves some kind of recognition for all readers to see. You and Corie do this from basic value, not for reward.
So, do we want to establish the first of the "Big Hearth Award"?

BB this was my original first choice for the first donor stove It was all set 2 years ago, but he got cold feet when, I explained the media coverage

I knew his stove required a total rebuild and I nursed it along with refactory cement to get by.

There is something about ex marines, that have a lot of pride. In know way did he want to look or be looked upon as needy or receiving a favor. but in reality he was most deserving
His health was a major issue two years back. two serious opperations. This is the same guy myself and other friends would stop buy every day and load his stove while he recovered.
When I knew he could not process wood I gave him enough to get him buy. HE has made a remarkable recovery but still has limits and needs to pace himself. He gets his grand sons to help stack and load the wood shed. When I was leaving he asked me how much he owed me.. can't get beyond the marine pride

My hat's off to you Elk. Job well done and appreciated.

You're absolutely right to point out that there are vets in need, but too proud to ask for it. We all should seek these folks out. Thanks for the good work and inspiration.

Good Job Elk...

Keep us posted of future endeavors... I might be able to think of a few potential installs up in this neck of the woods.

Keep in touch...

UncleRich said:
Seriously, think this deserves some kind of recognition for all readers to see. You and Corie do this from basic value, not for reward.
So, do we want to establish the first of the "Big Hearth Award"?

The reward is usually in the smile that comes from the recipient!

Or, as some would say, giving does more for the giver than the receiver...

I once was presented with a "Person of the Year" award at a big shindig for the NJ Remodelers Association. I think I helped them computerize and stuff like that. Although it was a nice statue, it soon fell off the pedestal (like me?)....I guess the glue wasn't good enough.

Still, it looked good on my resume (which I really never had to give to anyone anyway).

Even without publicity, someone is burning a cleaner stove and setting a better example for his friends and family - and Elk made it happen. In this day and age, people who actually do things are sometimes rare. Yeah, people can talk....but when it comes time to put the rubber to the road, that is what separates the wheat from the chaff.

Ouch Web, that's a terrible mixed metaphor. Don't want any of that tire or road in my flour. :grrr: No one asks for a reward, if they deserve it.

Just an idea.

UR

My hats off to you Elk, Wonderful thing you have going on wit hthe donor program, let alone the special attention you show to our vets. God Bless.

UncleRich said:
Ouch Web, that's a terrible mixed metaphor. Don't want any of that tire or road in my flour. :grrr:

UR

I hear ya on both! That's called verbal diarrhea, which is what happens when I don't proof read. On the other hand, it's pretty impressive I can come up with such BS right out of the box.....

As far as awards, we could do the military things with patches......but then we need a committee to decide who gets 'em.
:p

Hey, maybe I'll get to decide....

Yeah, imagine my disappointment when my Man of the Year statue keeled over. I think it actually may still exist in a box somewhere, but I may have tossed it during the move.

I think I heard Elk mention once that he attend church. All my normal sarcasm aside, the biggest reward that I have found in helping others is that when the time comes to pause and reflect, these actions weigh in on the positive side of our personal "scales".

Now, back to the rewards. If nothing else, I'm gonna make up a bunch of Hearth.com T shirts and caps which we can use for various things....although seeing the future, one day I'm gonna get Elk mad at me (again), and he'll post a pic of him defacing the goods in some way or another (as you see, my true self came back quickly).

On a side note: I have another stove that needs a home. I know its not an EPA stove but it is ul listed and acceptable for installations in our State
Its a good condition Baby Bear Fisher stove With installing a door gasket, It will be a bit more effecient. Anyhow its up for donor installation to help a familly that realy could use
the assistance, helping save some energy money in pinch time this winter. Anybody knowing of a good home for this stove get in touch with me

Elk, Good job! Nice install. BTW you'll look good in that t-shirt! :lol: Ha! Quick

elkimmeg said:
On a side note: I have another stove that needs a home. I know its not an EPA stove but it is ul listed and acceptable for installations in our State
Its a good condition Baby Bear Fisher stove With installing a door gasket, It will be a bit more effecient. Anyhow its up for donor installation to help a familly that realy could use
the assistance, helping save some energy money in pinch time this winter. Anybody knowing of a good home for this stove get in touch with me

I was planning on taking my one of my old smoke dragons out of service, possibly turning it into a smoker or some such, but they are actually not in bad shape, and I might be talked into giving it into the donor program instead (though that sort of bends the concept of the DP, which I thought was supposed to be targetted at getting the smoke dragons out of circulation?) The only problem is that one of the stoves doesn't actually have a UL label on it... I was thinking of doing a bit of swapping around to get rid of that one, but...

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.