off topic - looking for maple syrup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
This is only very remotely related to wood and burning. We use a lot of maple syrup based on years long habits from growing up in the NE. We only use real maple syrup, sorry Jemima. Problem is that the price has suddenly skyrocketed. And not a little, we're seeing it at many times the increases seen with gas etc. It's up about 300% over a couple years ago, so we are investigating buying direct from the farm. Back in CT we'd head over to Cream Hill farm and pick up a couple gallons. Problem is that there are no sugar maple trees out here, so that mean ordering it. Does anyone have a favorite supplier that ships? We prefer the grade B syrup (dark) if that makes a difference.

Yep, heavy duty cooking syrup is what we like. The light duty grade A doesn't have half the flavor. We'll be trying out Trader Joes next. Up until a couple years ago we could buy 2 qts at Costco for about $10. Then all they had was "organic" for $15/2 qts. Now they are only selling quarts at $14. I can see organic for some produce but maple syrup? So far, I've seen online for as low as $38/gallon. The shipping can be pretty high so we need to be sure it's decent stuff first.

I bought some for really cheap at a local craft fair type dealio last summer. Still have some- I'll check the name on the bottle for you (but has to wait- going to the Pats preseason game right from work tonight).

UGH, I dont even want to think about syrup. Had a good season this year but the hired help skipped out on the boiling part leaving me and my trusty 12 oz beverages to do the hard work. I sure dont miss wading through waist deep snow with loaded five gallon buckets.

Is grade B better for eating directly (rather than just cooking), assuming you like the flavor to begin with? I'm a New Englander, so I really hate the fake stuff :)

Yes, I like it for both eating and cooking.

BeGreen, I'll check with our people and let you know.

EDIT: Sorry, will have more in April, 2009 though.

Backwoods Savage said:
BeGreen, I'll check with our people and let you know.

It' like the Syrup Mafia in here. :coolsmile:

LEES WOOD-CO said:
How many gallons do you want. Don't know if we have any left but I'll check. We usually sell most in bulk but do bottle some and retail it ouselves.

Probably 2 gallons. Thx.

Andrew Churchill said:
The best Maple syrup comes from Vermont

www.vermontmaple.org/index.html
This message brought to you by the Vermont Maple Lobby.

:)

(though I'd tend to agree that an unknown bottle of Vermont maple syrup will be better than a random bottle from elsewhere.. they take their maples very seriously up there)

Andrew Churchill said:
The best Maple syrup comes from Vermont

www.vermontmaple.org/index.html

................................. (Ducking for cover)................................

You mean the most maple syrup comes from Vermont, because Maine produces the best.

(Now ducking for cover as well) ;-P

Hi BeGreen, the best Maple syrup I've ever had so far is the Butternut Farms Brand in Johnson,VT and they ship.

Best syrup is one that someone else makes. Its all fun and games hanging taps in March. Then the second week sets in and you realize how much work it is. This year was nuts with all the snow we had. When we pulled the taps in some of them were almost 6' off the ground.

Adios Pantalones said:
(though I am partial to Cabot wicked shahhp cheese)

Got a block of that in the fridge right now. Good stuff - and I only live 30 min. from cheese head country (Wisconsin).

mainemxz said:
Best syrup is one that someone else makes. Its all fun and games hanging taps in March.

I'll bet! I could handle the sitting around, drinking beer and tending the wood fired boiler though.

Status
Not open for further replies.