Offered a Stihl 064

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Naandme

Jan 16, 2011
Eaton, Indiana
Buddy called me he has a 064 but it has issuses, piston is scored (top end), no spark could be as simple as a wire grounding out or off or it needs a new ignition, and it has no air filter. He said he wants 125.00 but if it has bottom end problems it wouldn't be worth putting that much in or would it? Top end piston cylinder bearings off ebay is around a 100$ air filter 25$ ignition 50$ so lets just say 200$ so I would have 325.00 in it without any other problems What do you guys think its a older saw just don't want a money pit saw that I put more in than its worth.

For $125 I'd have to pass. Just me personally. That's a lot of work that MAY go your way. If everything goes well you MIGHT just be ahead. You're calculating $325 in it without addressing the problem with the ignition or the noise in the bottom end that you mentioned. You hope the ignition is just a wire but more likely its gonna cost you money (unless your luck runs a whole lot better than mine). Sounds like a nice project if you got it for free. Just my $0.02.

064 was a great saw.I ran alot of them before the 066 mag came out.
I'd offer him $50.
Try to find another 064 to run and use the scorched one for parts.
The 064 was popular back in the day with loggers so there should be quite a few out there.

doubtingLEE said:
064 was a great saw.I ran alot of them before the 066 mag came out.
I'd offer him $50.
Try to find another 064 to run and use the scorched one for parts.
The 064 was popular back in the day with loggers so there should be quite a few out there.

+1 but put a 066/660 top end on it!

Crank bearings seals and gasket around $100

Tune up kit (Air,fuel filter and plug around $30

Baileys has 660 NWP big bore kits on sale $99 Some work has to be done to make it fit..
There are lots of oem cylinders on the bay for $65 then get a oem piston....

Coil if it needs one $40

"Me I think even if you had $450 in it when done it would be worth it…."

(Southbound asked me not to mention that he's the person selling it...)

DanCorcoran said:
"Me I think even if you had $450 in it when done it would be worth it…."

(Southbound asked me not to mention that he's the person selling it...)

??????????????

If I had one in that shape I would not sell it I would fix it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheeeez...it was a joke.

Well guys, After the input I talked to my buddy and he said he would be willing to take 75.00 for it so I am the proud new owner of a broke 064 lol. I have started looking for parts and have found about everything for the top end a little over a 100 for that. I will start to tear it down tommorow or Tuesday i hope its just a wire grounding out or loose wire but if not ignitions are about 45.00 so I hope the bottom end is ok if so I will have a great saw cheap. I will keep you guys posted. Yipppe And Thanks for the input

Glad to hear you got it!!!!! If it is all there &75; was a good deal too..

We need pic's or it never happened....

For the top end are you gonna keep it a 064???

southbound said:
Glad to hear you got it!!!!! If it is all there &75; was a good deal too..

We need pic's or it never happened....

For the top end are you gonna keep it a 064???

+100

Congrats! Hope it works out for ya to not be anything really bad. Worth $75 in parts though. Please keep us posted. That'll be a monster.

Status
Not open for further replies.