offgassing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. Steel stoves are the worst, then cast iron, then soapstone. Soapstone stoves have very little smell when fired up for the first time because they have very little iron and run cooler by nature. Double wall pipe also helps, it will smoke much less than single wall pipe.

Yes. Steel stoves are the worst, then cast iron, then soapstone. Soapstone stoves have very little smell when fired up for the first time because they have very little iron and run cooler by nature.
Maybe the Hearthstones you saw were different, but my Fireview and Keystone were pretty stinky for a while just from the paint on the cast frame, door and rear cast section where the bypass and draft controls are.

Yes. Steel stoves are the worst, then cast iron, then soapstone. Soapstone stoves have very little smell when fired up for the first time because they have very little iron and run cooler by nature. Double wall pipe also helps, it will smoke much less than single wall pipe.

I'm not aware of a lot of soapstone woodstoves. Is there a list of them somewhere, and are they EPA certified?

There are quite a few soapstone stoves out there woodstock and hearthstone are the most common i think. Off gassing usually is not that big of a deal just start a fire before it gets to cold so you can open the windows and turn on some fans.

Reactions: webby3650
Maybe the Hearthstones you saw were different, but my Fireview and Keystone were pretty stinky for a while just from the paint on the cast frame, door and rear cast section where the bypass and draft controls are.
Compared to a steel stove?

Like was mentioned, this smell isn't a big deal. I sure wouldn't base my decision on it, it goes away in a very short time.

Reactions: Beer Belly
Painted stoves will off gas the most as the paint bakes in. That usually means that soapstone and enameled stoves will offgas less.

Status
Not open for further replies.