Official Connecticut Firewood Thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Hey guys - New on this thread, just wanted to chime in & start following it. I'm in Kent, kind of far from most of you from what i've read. Been at this for awhile, bought my first saw a Homelite XL 101 in 1966 in high school. 100.00 back then. Right now i'm down to 3 Stihls, an 041 I bought in '72, a 200t for small stuff, and a ms660 for the ones that make you grunt. I did 37 full cords last season, sold 25, we used 10 between 2 houses and another 2 for the syrup operation. This is the 3rd winter with a Garn here. I'll be 65 this coming May.
Nice!! Syrup is a lot of work. I have done it a few times but probably not in the quantity you do. I was lucky to get a gallon of finished product but only had 2 trees tapped. I'm in Danbury. You mentioned you sell wood as well , Do you deliver? I could use a cord to top off next years supply. What do you charge? You can personal message me.

Hi jrems, I tap about 150 trees, keeps me busy - The gallon you got from 2 trees is pretty good, the average they say is a quart per tap - My wood business does the same batch of customers every year , close by, I haven't added to it in quite awhile, sorry - If I lost one at this point, I probably would just adjust down a little. It hurts a little more than it used to.

Hi jrems, I tap about 150 trees, keeps me busy - The gallon you got from 2 trees is pretty good, the average they say is a quart per tap - My wood business does the same batch of customers every year , close by, I haven't added to it in quite awhile, sorry - If I lost one at this point, I probably would just adjust down a little. It hurts a little more than it used to.
It was two trees one of the trees was about 4-5' wide so I had 3 taps in it. The other was big as well and had 2taps. On a good day I was getting 15+ gallons a day from just the 3tap tree. It's a lot of work cooking it down. I used a propane burner. Maybe it's cause I made it but it was some of the best syrup I have ever had.

We'll see shortly what this year has in store - One year I did tap in January, good thing as the season ended mid March. Last year, I had no sap until mid March, thought I was looking at the worst year ever, but it kept on until April 12th or so - Would up only a few gallons below average.

Hey guys - New on this thread, just wanted to chime in & start following it. I'm in Kent, kind of far from most of you from what i've read. Been at this for awhile, bought my first saw a Homelite XL 101 in 1966 in high school. 100.00 back then. Right now i'm down to 3 Stihls, an 041 I bought in '72, a 200t for small stuff, and a ms660 for the ones that make you grunt. I did 37 full cords last season, sold 25, we used 10 between 2 houses and another 2 for the syrup operation. This is the 3rd winter with a Garn here. I'll be 65 this coming May.
I will make sure my wife never sees this post as I have a pile of splits from the fall I haven't even touched.....I hope that when im in my 60's I can even walk.....well done sir and here is to 37 more cords in 2016...

Reactions: Oldman47
I will make sure my wife never sees this post as I have a pile of splits from the fall I haven't even touched.....I hope that when im in my 60's I can even walk.....well done sir and here is to 37 more cords in 2016...
Get out and get moving. At 60 you are going to be a mere child. I am already 68 and still splitting everything by hand with my Fiskars. Sometimes it is not enough and I break out the sledge and wedges.

Reactions: edge-of-the-woods
Cold one tonight fellas! Stoke her up!
Indeed, even in Waterford its is supposed to around 10 degrees in overnight. 17 degrees as I speak. We get a lot of temp moderation on the coast, but when it's cold, it's cold!

The old All Nighter Moe (AKA "The Tank") is really purring right now on an ash/oak load. Basement is at 90 degrees keeping the family room above perfectly at 70.

7 degrees here this morning, still a breeze blowing. Jay, we have a Moe at the farmhouse, not sure which one, 32" long. I know you can sit on the floor and kick that piece of wood into it [the one you were sure would fit] and the stove doesn't wiggle around. You're right calling it a tank, battleship would fit too.

Reactions: Jay106n
http://newhaven.craigslist.org/zip/5385560232.html

"Free wood for the taking, recently had two large trees taken down, would like them removed by someone who can make use of them. Most of the Maple is taken already, still have a lot of spruce left,Please contact for address"

00J0J_jH8QGGCWyI3_600x450.jpg

Oh baby! Wish I could get up there!

To anyone around Stratford.

THis guy is looking to offload about 100yards of wood. not split.

Nick Miakos III right now i have about 100 yards of wood anyone who wants it call my office to come see it and we will set up delivery (203)367-5461 monday-friday 9-4

To anyone around Stratford.

THis guy is looking to offload about 100yards of wood. not split.

Nick Miakos III right now i have about 100 yards of wood anyone who wants it call my office to come see it and we will set up delivery (203)367-5461 monday-friday 9-4
i would go for it, but i still have about 3-4 cord to split and the weather isnt helping.

Lookin like the big one is on the way this weekend. 1-2 feet? Get your last minute chores in, and i'm not talkin bread and milk. I've got about a cord in rounds I want to get split and stacked before the snow comes.

Get on it! I've got some splitting to do, as well. I've been trying to build my self a shed.

Yeah I need t get going tonight and tomorrow on getting as much wood inside the house and mudroom as humanly possible :)

Killed me driving on the parkway in Milford and Orange last night. A ton of freshly cut, beautiful oak, just sitting on the other side of the guardrail. Anyone ever stopped and talked to the vendor cutting or maybe the DOT?

Killed me driving on the parkway in Milford and Orange last night. A ton of freshly cut, beautiful oak, just sitting on the other side of the guardrail. Anyone ever stopped and talked to the vendor cutting or maybe the DOT?
In the past, I called the DOT about logs left on the side of the road, and I was told "If it's over 10 days on the side of the road, you can go for it". If it's in a safe area where I could cut and load safely, I'd go for it anyhow....likely just tell you to move along.

looks like we are getting completely missed with this storm. i wont mind doing some splitting with some light snow flakes falling.

looks like we are getting completely missed with this storm. i wont mind doing some splitting with some light snow flakes falling.

I just saw on the news people are canceling weddings and stuff. South side of the state will still get a decent amount, but up here in the northwest corner, flurries? lol

Reactions: Tom123