Official PE FP30 or Similar Model Performance Thread 2016/17

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike M.

Feeling the Heat
Mar 18, 2012
Green Bay, WI
I get quite a few private messages on the FP 30 so I decided to share some performance results. This morning in Wisconsin it is about 22 degrees outside, house at 62 (for sleeping). I started the stove with some softwood at 6:30 AM, by 7 AM I added about 5 medium red maple splits at around 17% moisture. When the stove hit 600 degrees I turned on the fan. Its 7:45 and the house is at 70 degrees (in the interior stove area, living room, kitchen and upstairs). We heat just over 2000 square feet with this unit. The FP 30 is very easy to operate and control, while providing good output. My wife likes the flush style install and large glass fire view. This was an expensive choice but worth the investment.

Good idea on the FP30 thread.

We've got a two storey 2800 sq ft (aprox 1600 up/down) with walkout basement to heat with this unit and it does it without a problem. Our house seems to have good convection because even the upstairs master b/r walk in closet at the furthest corner of the house gets some warmth when the FP 30 is belching out heat. We installed the remote powered vent kit for the basement and it does a good job of keeping the basement rec-room warm. In fact the remote vent in the basement does a better job keeping up than the oil burner furnace because its a steady flow of warm air instead of the periodic heat from the furnace due to the T/stat being upstairs. Before the FP30 was installed we'd have to turn on an electric space heater to warm up the basement enough to get the chill out.
All in all we are very happy and impressed with the FP30.

Last night I packed in tight at 9:00pm with 5 large splits, 1 medium and 3 smalls and the T/stat read 73::F before bed at 10:30. Woke up at 5:30am to a nice bed of hot coals and the T/stat reading 70::F. Outside temps where -6::C(21::F) with high winds making it feel like -11::C (12::F) .

I agree, expensive choice, but definitely worth the investment.

Does anyone else have the issue with the fan cycling on startup and cool down? It almost seems like the fan blows directly on the temperature sensor causing it to cycle on and off. Not that bad at startup but during cool down it cycles like every 2 seconds. This consistent cycling somehow makes me wake up at 3 AM and turn the fan off, kind of annoying. I am thinking about removing the fan temperature sensor all together. It cannot be good to start that fan motor so many times in a row.

Mine doesn't have that problem. Maybe a bad sensor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just read this posted by Begreen on another thread earlier

"Most insert and stove blowers are series wired into a simple thermostatic snap switch which typically presses against the bottom or lower back of the stove body. This is so that the stove body fully warms up before the fan comes on. With a small fire in the insert it could take an hour to warm up the whole stove. One thing to check is to verify that the face of the snap switch is pressed firmly against the stove body. Sometimes they loosen and sometimes the mounting is a little flimsy."

This is the stove I have my eye on for a new house build. I want/need a big heater. Not worried about super long burn times, just want large btu output.

This is the stove I have my eye on for a new house build. I want/need a big heater. Not worried about super long burn times, just want large btu output.

This unit has plenty of BTU's for our 2800 sq ft. The remote heater is pretty good at keeping the walk out basement warm too.

Reactions: mcdougy
Just read this posted by Begreen on another thread earlier

"Most insert and stove blowers are series wired into a simple thermostatic snap switch which typically presses against the bottom or lower back of the stove body. This is so that the stove body fully warms up before the fan comes on. With a small fire in the insert it could take an hour to warm up the whole stove. One thing to check is to verify that the face of the snap switch is pressed firmly against the stove body. Sometimes they loosen and sometimes the mounting is a little flimsy."

This is a good idea, I am thinking the snap disk must be under the firebox. If it was behind on the back wall it would not be serviceable. This spring I will have to take a look.

Does anyone know if the FP30 is the exact same firebox as the summit? Wondering if the summit firebox drops down a bit more, the FP30 has little room for ash. I wanted a summit in my basement but settled for the 30NCH due to cost. The 30NCH is working but someday I would like a summit free standing stove. Interested in any differences between the summit and FP30.

While there are family similarities, the FP30 firebox is a bit more rectangular than the more square firebox in the Summit making the FP30 a bit more of an E/W burner.

Are you all loading E/W or N/S? Any noticeable difference in burn times etc?

I will be putting in the FP30 this year and have about 1/2 of my 4 cords cut to 15 inches while the rest is 18 or so. All of it has been drying for 2+ years in hot Missouri sun so I have high expectations of a warm house next winter whichever way its loaded!

Thanks for the info.

I usually burn N/S, occasionally E/W. E/W may be a slightly longer burn but then I can't load as much wood so it is roughly about equal for me.

The FP30 will take an 18in split north south. That is about the limit however. Most of my splits are less than 18 as I was used to cutting and feeding the old Napoleon stoves which had slightly smaller fireboxes. I prefer north south burning, unless just trying to get rid of big noty logs that won't split decent.

Sent from my SM-G900R6 using Tapatalk

The FP30 will take an 18in split north south. That is about the limit however. Most of my splits are less than 18 as I was used to cutting and feeding the old Napoleon stoves which had slightly smaller fireboxes. I prefer north south burning, unless just trying to get rid of big noty logs that won't split decent.

Sent from my SM-G900R6 using Tapatalk

I agree NS burning is better than EW in the FP30. It's really nice having the flexibility with this firebox.

Thanks for these timely reports. Although my FP30 is still sitting in a crate at my dealers due to some unforeseen set backs during remodeling, I appreciate the observations of other users to glean all the info I can on how best to operate this model. Coming from the world of traditional open burning fireplaces, there is a lot to learn.

Reactions: mcdougy
Status
Not open for further replies.