official "the voice" thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't remember the last time I turned on my TV.

Me me! I have never watched any of these shows except for a couple of random episodes. Last season my son and I got hooked! I love it because it's our thing. It's about the only thing he admits to liking if I also like it. I missed most of last night because we had a really difficult day here on the homestead, but am looking forward to tonight. At least I hope it's on tonight.

Me me! I have never watched any of these shows except for a couple of random episodes. Last season my son and I got hooked! I love it because it's our thing. It's about the only thing he admits to liking if I also like it. I missed most of last night because we had a really difficult day here on the homestead, but am looking forward to tonight. At least I hope it's on tonight.

last night was ok, a few pretty good prospects. i started watching it the season before last, was "poisoned" from these types of shows my american idol which just got too over the top for me, seemed to me like the show was more about the judges than the singers. last couple years though i've been glued to the set watching, wife and i both enjoy the show which is unusual as we usually have differing tastes in TV

comes on at 8 tonight

Okay, making popcorn then. I do miss the 2 judges from last season. I loved this promo from last season

yeah, Shakira was great, usher was as well, i think mixing it up was good for the show (and the two who weren't there last season were freed up for projects they were both working on).

OTOH i love me some xtina!

uhoh, wifey is grousing as the NCIS season premier is running opposite the voice.

was my fav from last year http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=bhYwtthK3uE

Reactions: Mrs. Krabappel
Can't remember the last time I turned on my TV.

About 2 weeks ago the broadband guy came out to fix the internet. Flipped on 60 channels of cable in the process. That plus we finally ordered a $7 remote for the old dinosaur. We are mesmerized! I don't watch it all summer, but it's nice to have something on when I'm slogging away at grad work on the couch.

Reactions: fossil
My computer's on from when I get up until I go to bed. And NPR on the radio.

I watched it. I only really watch the blind auditions and slowly lose interest after that.

Lastnight was great, looking forward to it in 6 minutes!

Andrew

I'm enjoying it very much, but I still love this Dave Grohl quote. Beware the salty language!

dave-on-nirvana.jpg

He also has a quote that says something like "can you imagine Bob Dylan singing blowing in the wind in front of Christina <expletive> Aquilera?"

I agree to a certain extent. I am sure if shows like this existed in the early 1990s maybe more bands would have been born. Times are changing and technology is a huge part of it. I lived a situation like that today: my son looked at a toy catalogue from Sears that we got in the mail. And he said "I need to send a text to Santa to tell him what I want!". My son is 3 and doesn't own a cell but has seen me text on it before...

Either way, good show tonight.

great post mrs Krab,

in context though what do you think she would think of johnny cash doing the 9 inch nails "hurt" song not knowing who he was (love JC) imagine them hearing willy nelson's "crazy' if they had only heard cline's version (and he wrote it)

saying this show is the only way one may get discovered is kinda wrong IMHO, for every one that comes on the show a hundred will get a shot that wont be on TV and the percentage that "make it" will probably be similar.

all in all though i get what he is saying, the discouragement of failure isnt a good thing, but i thik if they are told they arent making the show (as example) because they need to work on "X" then its constructive, would encourage them to work on it harder, to better themselves. failure at times makes a person stronger though it can weaken some as well.

i need to think on this a bit, thanks for the post mrs Krab

Reactions: Swedishchef
Dave Grohl is a music genius that grew up in an Era where technology wasn't quite what it is today. Lots of kids still play in a garage. They don't apply for TV shows. But if you look at the last singer from last night (she sang diamonds in the sky) she said she is a single mother and has a full time job. Not much time for playing in bars and trying to get her name out there. SO perhaps this is a quick shot opportunity.

One thing is certain: not everyone who wins American Idol or The Voice flourish and have big careers. I can only think of 2-3 winners of American Idol who made it big after they won and who's music still appeals to "the masses".

Even the ones that are talented and go far on the show will end up in over-produced cookie cutter recording contracts on pop radio. Whether they get a real career or not, it's artistic castration, IMO.

I feel like the bands that make their bones playing in clubs and basement shows develop something real that is desperately lacking on mainstream formula radio. Win a show, a producer styles your look, sound, and song selection, then autotunes your voice. The pop formula is to interesting music what paintings in a motel are to art, IMO.

Now- watch the show for the entertainment value, root on someone that you like, follow their career- I have no issue with other people having different taste than I do. It just sort of makes my teeth hurt. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.