Offset insert adapters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zambone

Dec 3, 2008
Mid West
Any build up on these things???
I installed a wood burning stove in my fireplace and it sets back too far, the SS flex liner comes straight down and I have no room to bend the SS flex to the center of my stove, so I had to push the stove farther back, the front of my stove is about 12” inside of the fireplace instead of right out in front of the fireplace, so when my fan is on most of my heat is going up the flu.
So will I get a lot of build up or creosote, gases?
Thanks,
Jerry
Down below are some that I found that might work.
http://www.sandhillwholesale.com/ad....html?osCsid=c41ae8a4053aa7441040b5f0438e35e3

http://www.sandhillwholesale.com/ad...ubcat=1&pfrom;=&pto;=&dfrom;=&dto;=&x=50&y=11

Third year with an offset adapter here and haven't noticed substantial buildup with my insert (Quad 3100i). I vacuum it out usually once or twice a season to keep it clean but that's about it.

zambone said:
Any build up on these things???
I installed a wood burning stove in my fireplace and it sets back too far, the SS flex liner comes straight down and I have no room to bend the SS flex to the center of my stove, so I had to push the stove farther back, the front of my stove is about 12” inside of the fireplace instead of right out in front of the fireplace, so when my fan is on most of my heat is going up the flu.
So will I get a lot of build up or creosote, gases?

Insulate where your liner passes theu the damper area of the fireplace. Fiberglass insulation is fine as long as you remove the Kraft Facing (paper).
Also insulate around the top of the liner - just under the cap - with the same fiberglass...
This will create a dead column of air which will act as insulation. It will keep the area warm to some extent - which will discourage creosote build-up...

Thanks,
for the help so far, I’m insulated from top to bottom.
I’ll only have a short run for the offset so I can get the front of the stove to be where it should be.

Recommend finding some "blanket" insulation used on high heat chimney applications. Buy a roll of sealing tape with it. Do a nice job of wrapping that offset before you install it, and it will stay hot and clean. Vacuuming the dust and ash out of it once in awhile is a good idea.

Do yourself a favor.
Don't use fiberglass or any kind of tape.
Do some research in here and you will see why.
Choose the advise you take carefully.

Only use materials specifically designed for solid fuel chimney applications. It costs more than duct tape. But duct tape burns, right? :)

I have some insulation left that came with my SS flex Pipe, I was going to wrap the offset with that + use HVAC foil tape.
How does that sound???, good or not??
Thanks again for all the info.
Let me know if that is a good idea.

The left over liner insulation will work fine. I know of no tape approved for wood burning appliances or liners.
The adhesive on that foil tape will either dry up and become useless or burn off.

Status
Not open for further replies.