Oh Crap, didn't see that coming!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mass_burner

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2013
SE Mass
So I'm burning spruce and cedar since my hardwoods are still drying. 3 or so hours in a spruce split falls against the glass, this doesn't freak me out anymore, but a few moments later the wayward split still resting on the glads pops-- I audibly say "oh chit". It popped a few more times, but nothing happened.

Can this conceivably crack the glass?

Very unlikely, I seen video posted here at one point of cold water being sprayed on the hot "glass" and it not cracking/breaking. The force of the "pop" would probably get by a gasket before there was enough pressure to break the glass. I've been wrong a bunch in my life though. ;lol

They test that stuff by bouncing a steel ball off of it.

Rest.

"Neoceram glass is also highly resistant to physical shock. In order to pass the UL test for woodstoves the window is subject to a hammer treatment in which a two pound steel ball suspended on a pendulum is dropped against the glass. I don't recall the height of the drop, but it's like hitting the glass pretty hard with a hammer."

I accidently mixed in some type of softwood, some type of spruce I believe and I had a few pops, didn't realize I had them in there til the popping started and it made me jump. Didn't think it was going to crack the glass though, that would be a pretty tough thing to do, I hear you can explode grenades in a wood stove.

Grenades in wood stove- does tend to expand the the burn chamber a considerable amount- leaks a lot afterwards;lol

No worries ... seems like most broken "glass" comes when someone tosses in the wood willy nilly or slams the door shut and jams the split up hard to the glass. Cracked glass can happen ... but it's not a common, happens often sort of thing ... and popping wood should present no issues.

No worries, but if I see wood touching the glass I usually get the poker and move it off. In my stove it makes a soot mark on the glass that it takes a few fires to burn off...or I go in there with the windex once things cool off.

No worries, but if I see wood touching the glass I usually get the poker and move it off. In my stove it makes a soot mark on the glass that it takes a few fires to burn off...or I go in there with the windex once things cool off.

If you had a Blaze King a little soot mark wouldn't bother you. :cool: ;lol

Status
Not open for further replies.