OH dear....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ratherbfishin

Sep 2, 2009
Southern tier NY
So my mother in law and her mom "great grandma" are up from NJ for a visit. 68 degrees in the house to start which is perfect by my standards but they complained they were "chilly" and asked a few times if I would fire up the stove. I was very hesitant because it is only forecast for 52 degrees tonight which is a bit out of range for starting it up. Usually 40 degrees is the green flag for me. (otherwise it will get too darn hot in here) Anyhow so now the fire is ripping and 82 degrees in the house. Needles to say their cloths are starting to come off. This could get ugly :) pretty soon the "bitty's" will be down to their bras! I have plenty of beer though :) uhhh ahem. Hope you all get a giggle

I would jab my eyes out now before the unthinkable happens!!!!. I think your hidden agenda for heating up the place and then watching as the cloths come off is a very bad idea, stick to the jabbing the eyes out thing and you will be in a better place..... Believe me you simply do not have enough beer!!!!! I'll say a prayer for you... :bug:

Wait until you're their age. It's not at all uncommon for older folks to be more comfortable with warmer temps. I remember as a kid in my teens thinking that my grandparents kept their home too warm. Now I'm in my 60's, and I'm finding that my tolerance for cold is diminishing, and that I prefer to keep my home a bit warmer than I once did. Do your best to make them comfortable (as I know you will). I don't think there's much reason to fear that they'll disrobe before your eyes. Take good care of them...and hope that there'll be someone there someday to do the same for you. Rick

Perfect picture forum........?

ratherbfishin said:
I was very hesitant because it is only forecast for 52 degrees tonight which is a bit out of range for starting it up. Usually 40 degrees is the green flag for me.

Only supposed get down to 52* here tonight and I just tossed a few small splits in the stove. My wife banked the coals from her morning fire so I had some nice coals for an easy restart. :)

mikepinto65 said:

That's a whole lotta wrong, right there.

BrowningBAR said:
mikepinto65 said:

That's a whole lotta wrong, right there.

LOL, im sorry!
It was bound to be said

With a 5700 I can see why your hesitate...

Franks said:
You know as far as I am concerned, this really didnt happen unless...

DEAR GOD, NO!!!

Aw, just let the little girls have it nice and toasty. lol

Rick is right though. As we age the cold gets to us a bit faster. That is why we usually keep our house around 80 degrees.

They Would love it here in jamaica. the wife and I decided last minute to take a trip and decided to come to jamaica. its incredible down here.. no need for wood stoves, but with all the wind we can totally live off the grid. solar panels and wind turbines will do. Cheers Mon.

Franks said:
You know as far as I am concerned, this really didnt happen unless...

Oh...thanks for that, now I gotta go bleach my eyes.

I want to know more about ironing see-through nighties!

Mum used to sit in the wing chair next to the stove (with sunlight streaming over her) and the stove was crankin'. She'd be wearing a turtleneck! and never crack a sweat. NO way I could have done that, but she was 80, frail, and she loved it. So, we do like it warmer as we "ripen".

Of course I understand the elderly and they always seem to be cold. That's why I caved and lit up the stove...to accommodate my guests. Once the shirts started to come off I relocated outside on the deck...Drank some beers and prayed. When I came in everyone was sleeping. That's another thing I tried to plead before I started it up. I said once it is going it will be in the mid to upper 80's in here and you will not be able to stay awake sitting next to the stove. So all ended well.(for me anyway) :) Thanks for your posts...very funny stuff.

Don't let them have any of your beer. Their clothes might come off a little faster if they get a good buzz! As previously stated, I think I'd just jab my eyes out!

Reminds me of the old joke. It was warm in California yesterday. The old folks only had on two sweaters.

Bobbin said:
I want to know more about ironing see-through nighties!

Mum used to sit in the wing chair next to the stove (with sunlight streaming over her) and the stove was crankin'. She'd be wearing a turtleneck! and never crack a sweat. NO way I could have done that, but she was 80, frail, and she loved it. So, we do like it warmer as we "ripen".

Ironing them is not what most folks on this board would be interested in.

Status
Not open for further replies.