Oh, how I miss my VC Resolute

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bmwloco

Jan 17, 2008
Asheville NC
Slowly getting settled into the new abode. Whereas the old Chateau Loco was pretty small and ran like a VW Beetle, this place is more like an old diesel Peterbuilt. Originally built in 1925, it's a great old house. I'm in the sun room now - currently low 40's outside, but 72.9 here according to the digital thermometer.

The old boiler system so far works well, but god, I miss my Vermont Casting Resolute! It sits, forlorn and ready to be installed not 2 feet from the poorly engineered fireplace insert that eats wood and throws very little heat. At most, it gets only up to 300F. I am used to running the Resolute at 500-650F

The new Stirling engine fan works at the lower temp, but not the old one. It wants at least 500F to do anything.

So, next project - delete insert and get Resolute installed!

Reactions: Ashful and raybonz
Let us know the happy ending when you do!

I hear you, man. Congratulations on the new house. I wish you the best. I would love to move from this house, but the best thing about this place is the centrally located fireplace, which houses my beloved insert. Post pics when you get that Resolute cranking.

Will do pics and update soon. My last 12.5 hour night (do IT for local hospital) and off until Sunday. Plan on skiing Beech Thursday, then I will focus on getting the stove installed.

And moving 3 cords of dry wood from the old houses new woodshed to the new Chateau Loco. Now I just need to figure out where to store wood...

Good luck on your Resolute install. I'm envious...I miss Beech, Sugar and old Seven Devils. Wolf Laurel, too.

Maybe like these?

IMG_0044.JPG IMG_0045.JPG

Here's mine. I've had real good luck with it, and it does 24X7 duty for us in my family room. Anything over 25'F I let it heat the whole house, below that I get the Smoke Dragon going in the living room.

140428455.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.