Oh, I'll tell ya how much snow we got...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Madcodger

So everybody from areas not slammed with snow calls to ask, "How much snow did ya get"?

After more than 3 hours of clearing the stuff with the snowblower, I can tell you we got right between "We're buyin' a condo!" and "We're movin' to Florida!", that's how much we got! This feeling will likely pass, but man, what a bunch of wet, heavy stuff. And only 9 inches, which is child's play to some of you.

Is it spring yet??

Last edited by a moderator:
Said the exact same thing to myself and friends about a nice condo in Florida, Texas or Arizona.
Uncle. Uncle. Uncle. Enough snow already.

Reactions: Madcodger
I wish we were getting all that snow out west. Bad drought is on its way if things don't turn around soon.

8" today with another 10 coming tomorrow night and Wednesday. bring it!!!

Reactions: Wildo
I have maybe 2" top's

This year I hooked up my 48 inch snow thrower on the tractor. I look for driveways to clear. :cool:

I couldn't make it to work Monday so it may really be time to invest in some snow tires.

This year I hooked up my 48 inch snow thrower on the tractor. I look for driveways to clear. :cool:

I couldn't make it to work Monday so it may really be time to invest in some snow tires.
That's what I want as I head towards retirement. Never mind horsing the Ariens, it's a great machine, treated me well, cleared tons of snow but it ain't no Berco on a tractor ! I think I need to upgrade the tractor first though, I believe I want a Cub 2000 series or a Husqvarna Garden tractor. I can put a little plow on my present tractor for the light fluffy 3 " storms but when we get 18"-20" of that wet stuff a Berco is the way to go.

Reactions: Madcodger
LOL you might just have frost bite in the brain... or you are nuttier than squirrel poop. LOL

JUST KIDDING. I am ready for spring.. or Florida.

Yea, I've been told that before!
We LOVE snowmobiling

Not including the storm we had over the weekend, 395 cm for the year.:mad: Just hit 30 plows this season .

39 inches so far for the season with an official 24 inches on the ground and not going anywhere with February starting out at least 10 degrees below average temp following December that got put in the record books as being in the top coldest and January just missing. With our state being the 3 rd most unfriendly for taxes we can get a place in Florida and have it break even in tax savings, then don't need four wheel drive Jeep etc etc.

Tell me about it! So glad I have a snowblower this year. This winter has been relentless!

Doesn't seem like we've had much in Western MA. Last couple of falls didn't even qualify for me to take the Ariens out.

That's what I want as I head towards retirement. Never mind horsing the Ariens, it's a great machine, treated me well, cleared tons of snow but it ain't no Berco on a tractor ! I think I need to upgrade the tractor first though, I believe I want a Cub 2000 series or a Husqvarna Garden tractor. I can put a little plow on my present tractor for the light fluffy 3 " storms but when we get 18"-20" of that wet stuff a Berco is the way to go.

That's why I run my old 1983 Ariens garden tractor, 17hp with 48" shaft driven snowthro on the front and a cab to keep me warm and dry all winter long. Of course my driveway is almost 200 feet long and uphill so its mighty nice to have a machine that I don't have to power by hand or wrestle with up and down the slope. Like you said, it does fine with the plow for the light stuff, but that snowthro moves the heaviest snow with no issues and its a bonus to never a need to push any piles back over my lawn. Even though I have an old little tractor, it does all I ask without whining one bit. A belt driven snowthro would be hard pressed to last in my neck of the woods...

I'm almost sorry to say I'll be parting ways with this old tank, because it has treated me so well snow blowing, plowing, mowing and bagging fall leaves. Just got a too good to pass up deal on a Kubota BX 26hp with all the same implements, plus a loader bucket. The Kubota is a nice machine, but most of the smaller garden tractors aren't made like they used to be. At least you are looking at the higher end of the Cubs, which are alot nicer than the flimsy ones they sell at Home Depot. If not for the deal I am getting on the Kubota, I would still keep my antique over those new low end cheapo depot specials any day of the week.

Here in Hartford Connecticut area 3 inches but 6 to 10 for Tommow. Don't mind it I grew up in New England :)

That's why I run my old 1983 Ariens garden tractor, 17hp with 48" shaft driven snowthro on the front and a cab to keep me warm and dry all winter long. Of course my driveway is almost 200 feet long and uphill so its mighty nice to have a machine that I don't have to power by hand or wrestle with up and down the slope. Like you said, it does fine with the plow for the light stuff, but that snowthro moves the heaviest snow with no issues and its a bonus to never a need to push any piles back over my lawn. Even though I have an old little tractor, it does all I ask without whining one bit. A belt driven snowthro would be hard pressed to last in my neck of the woods...

I'm almost sorry to say I'll be parting ways with this old tank, because it has treated me so well snow blowing, plowing, mowing and bagging fall leaves. Just got a too good to pass up deal on a Kubota BX 26hp with all the same implements, plus a loader bucket. The Kubota is a nice machine, but most of the smaller garden tractors aren't made like they used to be. At least you are looking at the higher end of the Cubs, which are alot nicer than the flimsy ones they sell at Home Depot. If not for the deal I am getting on the Kubota, I would still keep my antique over those new low end cheapo depot specials any day of the week.
only 85' here but uphill and commercial cut to the road so double wide. That goes up to a circle around and back down, so more like 165 now. Add parking for 3 cars wide on one end of the , two cars on the other. Cut a path out back to the shed and another to the apartment and propane tank. Well, I ain't getting a younger, used to think nothing of it with walk behind ariens.

I think we had about 10", close to you Madcodger. However, it was a very dense 10", being based on 1.11" rain. The inches of snow per inches of rain can vary 5:1 (extremely dense) when warm, to 20:1 (the powder we've seen most of this year) when very cold. This was easily the most snow I've moved this year by weight, even though it wasn't very deep.

It didn't slow me down any, though:

photo 23.JPG

Reactions: boomhour
What a great time for my snow blower belt to tear. After the previous snow we had my belt tore, so I ordered a new one and it came and I procrastinated. So on Sunday I decided I better put it on before this last snow came. this is when I realized some dummy (me) ordered the wrong belt, it was too long. So because of this my wife and I had to hand shovel our driveway all 150 ft. of it by 12' wide. It was only a wet 9". So I sent the belt back and ordered the proper one and it looks like it will be here after I hand shovel tonight's snow. :mad:

What a great time for my snow blower belt to tear. After the previous snow we had my belt tore, so I ordered a new one and it came and I procrastinated. So on Sunday I decided I better put it on before this last snow came. this is when I realized some dummy (me) ordered the wrong belt, it was too long. So because of this my wife and I had to hand shovel our driveway all 150 ft. of it by 12' wide. It was only a wet 9". So I sent the belt back and ordered the proper one and it looks like it will be here after I hand shovel tonight's snow. :mad:
Now that beats my lost bag of shear pins. Sucked up a rock and a stick, wham, now the right side is plowing instead of feeding snow. So no new shear pin, I used a small skinny bolt. I was almost done so no big deal if it went. Now to get shear pins or find that bag I already own.

Here in Ontario I have about 24" of snow out on the lawn area, but the snow banks around here are huge compared to what I've seen in years. Thank goodness for my plow it's been used well this season and we have another system coming tonight and tomorrow.
IMG-20130209-00177.jpg

Reactions: boomhour
Now that beats my lost bag of shear pins. Sucked up a rock and a stick, wham, now the right side is plowing instead of feeding snow. So no new shear pin, I used a small skinny bolt. I was almost done so no big deal if it went. Now to get shear pins or find that bag I already own.
I have shear pins in stock, guess I should stock belts too.

This is what is the locals call a small tractor, glad this system is going south this time. But the cold is driving it down and at noon its -12F

Attachments

• DSCN0224.JPG
    DSCN0224.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 123
Status
Not open for further replies.