Oh My Toe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kenwit

Jan 2, 2010
long island
I received the Fiskers SS, got up early to try it out. Don't you know first swing (short handle) glances off near side of round slices through the out side of my left Red Wing (not steel toe) catches the little toe. It could have been much worse. I bandaged that sucker and split about half a cord of ash. Be carefull. Ken

There is a time and a place for steelies in the summer. I'd love to find out if the ceramic toes are warmer in the winter.

Matt

It's funny (welll not really!) I just posted the exact same incident just now. First time using the SS and I needed 7 stitches on the top of my left foot. I was really excited to try that ax out too. I need to rethink my choice in footware. I hope you feel better then I do!

Somebody call a toe truck?

Bah-dum-bump. :lol:

Somehow I expected to see threads like this one begin to show up in here this time of year................

-Soupy1957

There is apparently more to say about the Fiskars than all the positive comments. For me, just looking at that handle was enough to shy me away from it. It is too much like a hatchet.

I've wondered if some folks like the Fiskars more because they elevate their log before splitting. Sit it on a stump or another big log. Getting it higher would make it better for a short handle, but I'll just stay with my regular axe.

Backwoods Savage said:
There is apparently more to say about the Fiskars than all the positive comments. For me, just looking at that handle was enough to shy me away from it. It is too much like a hatchet.

I've wondered if some folks like the Fiskars more because they elevate their log before splitting. Sit it on a stump or another big log. Getting it higher would make it better for a short handle, but I'll just stay with my regular axe.

That's how I do all my splitting, and I love the Fiskars. I can split all day long and not get tired/sore.

If anybody out there is hand-splitting a log on the ground they need to go back to "splitting school".

CountryBoy19 said:
That's how I do all my splitting, and I love the Fiskars. I can split all day long and not get tired/sore.

If anybody out there is hand-splitting a log on the ground they need to go back to "splitting school".
I disagree about going back to splitting school, but to each his own.

I split all day long, out in the woods on the ground right where the tree fell, with my old maul. I have no problems at all. Just because you do have problems with it, doesn't mean everybody else does too. I am a perfect example to the contrary, and I would never tell somebody else they need to go back to splitting school just because they can't handle splitting the same way I do.

Or, CountryBoy, perhaps the newer guys need to go to splitting school to get started on the right track! (Sorry about that quads! I did recommend it.)

I checked with the splitting school, and they don't allow cavemen - you are SOL, Quads :lol:

willworkforwood said:
I checked with the splitting school, and they don't allow cavemen - you are SOL, Quads :lol:
HAHA! Hence the reason why I have never been formally educated in splitting. Me just swingum maul wood splits me go home. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.