Oh Noooo!!!! Soot on my snow.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bungalobob

Feeling the Heat
Aug 5, 2008
central ct
Actually ash. Cleaned some of the clinkers and ash that were congregating on the front of my burn pot, compliments of some NEWP's. Fire was low, room and home well heated and toasty. Took dog out and low behold, there it was, brown ash in about three foot circle on the newly fallen pristine snow. I have a direct vent pointing downward at an angle. Must have blown out when I closed the door on the stove. Other than that, there has at least been no black soot. This Harman P68 burns clean. Check it out all the time outside and have yet to any soot. Even when it lights off, it only blows some white smoke. Can't complain, yet. Although the dog may not like the competition with coloring the snow.

It sounds like everything is going good with your stove. We have not had enough snow yet for to see what pretty colors and patterns my exhaust will make. I am like you though, I just get a smoke at startup just as the pellets ignite. After that, it seems to burn well.
Keep warm and Happy Holidays!

I had soot on my snow too...until an additional 8 inches of snow covered it up!

Better to have soot on your snow than snow on the roof. Merry Christmas everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.