Oh that EVIL pine...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
RNLA said:
I love to hear and read the pine evils. I run a tree service in Washington and out here on the west coast pine is not the most desired wood but is certainly an accepted species. When properly seasoned it burns hot easily. On the list also is another conifer called Douglas Fir, this stuff is somewhere around 26 million BTU's per cord. So my point is "soft wood" is kind of a relative thing. You burn what you got, if well seasoned. I just removed a Douglas Fir yesterday in my neighbor's back yard 3ft. at chest height, 90-100ft. tall this should yield about 1.5-2.0 cord when c/s/s... :coolsmile:

Nice! I'm nearing the end of my Doug. I'm going to miss it. It's a near perfect firewood. Easy splitting (if it's tight grained...), easy to light, burns long and hot, very little ash. In contrast, Big Leaf Maple burns much faster and leaves a ton of ash. Next year will be mostly pine.

I burn pine all the time but its been drying for about 60 to 100 years so it should be good to go. Floor joists from old homes.

Status
Not open for further replies.