Oh the humanity!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ikessky

Minister of Fire
Sep 2, 2008
Northern WI
Here is my wood pile overlooking Wisconsin's highest point.
100_2204.jpg

Here is next year's wood waiting to be split and stacked. Most of this has been down and bucked since the winter or spring.
100_2201.jpg

My main man lending me a hand with the splitting.
100_2200.jpg

Two action shots just to prove that I actually do work.
100_2202.jpg

100_2203.jpg

Thats a monster spliter!

That is one angry looking wedge.

Yeah, it's a good size. We've fed a lot of wood through that thing and it's never let us down. Huge hard maple rounds with knots and burls, oak crotches, etc. It hardly even bogs down.

I'm not real crazy about the wedge. There was a four way wedge on it before, but all the other guys that use it have OWB's so they need bigger splits than I do. I end up re-splitting a lot of pieces, but that's OK.

Real nice pictures...the wedge looks like a tail assembly from a jet plane. Good times to have your son out there too.

Ikessky looks great and it's nice that the young mans helping out, I lightened up the picture some it's a great view.

zap

Attachments

• 100_2204-1.jpg
    100_2204-1.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 443
Timms Hill? I have been by there many times, someday I will stop and check it out. Nice pics and awesome splitter!

You got it Quads! My in-laws built the tower on top of Timm's Hill actually. It's a nice area.

Maybe I should grab a video of the splitter doing some work!

That is a nice wood pile and splitter. The logs look long so you must be able to put in some long stuff.

My furnace is limited to 22", so most of my stuff is in the 16"-20" range. However, sometimes I forget what I'm doing and throw a long piece in there. Not sure what the splitter will actually handle though. There is usually a little room left even on my longest pieces, so I'm guessing it will take a piece that is 25"-28". If I remember, I'll measure the distance tonight.

ikessky said:
You got it Quads! My in-laws built the tower on top of Timm's Hill actually. It's a nice area.

Maybe I should grab a video of the splitter doing some work!

Is there a public trail to the top of Timm's Hill? Always wanted to hike to Wisconsin's highest point.

northwinds said:
Is there a public trail to the top of Timm's Hill? Always wanted to hike to Wisconsin's highest point.

Yes there is. There's a nice parking area, pavilion, play ground, and a nice trail up to the top. At the top there is a wooden observation tower that gives you a great view for miles. Fall is a great time to go up there.

Just got to say when I first read your title all I could picture in my mind was a crashing, burning blimp. Nice pics, awesome view. darn nice spliiter too.

Shawn G said:
Just got to say when I first read your title all I could picture in my mind was a crashing, burning blimp.
Glad someone caught that!

Another great evening and it was just me and the kids, so we went and split and stacked a little. Here's what they do while Dad is hard at work.
100_2208.jpg

The splitter can take 30" long chunks!
100_2209.jpg

Also, I started a splitter thread and have some videos in there. Enjoy!

northwinds said:
Always wanted to hike to Wisconsin's highest point.

This made me laugh as I was just at my HS reunion this weekend and one of my classmates was there whose family had the honor of having Iowa's second highest spot. In their hog lot.

As I recall, there were no trails or playgrounds there. :)

ikessky said:
Another great evening and it was just me and the kids, so we went and split and stacked a little. Here's what they do while Dad is hard at work.
100_2208.jpg

The splitter can take 30" long chunks!
100_2209.jpg

Also, I started a splitter thread and have some videos in there. Enjoy!

Geez . . . no frozen treats for the kids . . . ChrisinNJ always gives his kids ice cream sandwiches or popsicles when they help him. ;) :)

They have cans of Sierra Mist sitting there and Zebra cakes in their hands. That's part of the reason they like coming with me. I always bring treats for them if they help.

ikessky said:
They have cans of Sierra Mist sitting there and Zebra cakes in their hands. That's part of the reason they like coming with me. I always bring treats for them if they help.

Hmmm . . . I think you and Chris are on to something . . . forget the illegal migrant workers helping us cut and split our wood . . . we can use child labor and pay them off in ice cream sandwiches, popsicles, Zebra cakes and soda . . . and then when they're completely hyped up on sugar and they've done all the work we ask them to do we'll return home and pawn them off on the unsuspecting mom. ;) :)

By the way, great pics . . . beautiful country.

Status
Not open for further replies.