Oh what a clutz I am. What have you done...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

r_d_gard

Nov 9, 2009
Maryland - USA
www.cff.org
So a mate of mine rings up this morning and says that in a storm we had the other day a 70' tree had blown over and wanted me to come over cut it up. Great. Free wood. Buck it and split this afternoon. Hmmm. Chain on saw not sharpened since last time. Hmmm. Need gas and bar oil.
So I pop out into the garage and start preping the chainsaw. Ok. Pull it off the shelf. Get my box of gear down. Open the box. pull out the files. Get the Gas can. Get the bar oil container, open it, and open the cap on the tank of the chainsaw to put it in and then promptly POURED OIL INTO THE FUEL TANK. OMG. What a klutz. I filled it up put the cap back on and went on to open the bar oil cap. It was only after I took the top off and had the bar oil container in my right hand. That I realized what I did.
I then promptly got the oil pan and drained the oil, put gas into the tank and washed it out several times and then fired it up.

Seems to work ok thought.

Looked at my mates tree. I'll take the wood when it's down. But I ain't going to drop it. It was a 'hanger'. Aiming right for a house. Best left for the Professionals.

LoL. I haven't ever done that, but I bet you'll be fine. I wouldn't make a habit of that, though.

Heh, real funny when it happens to someone else... :lol:
My dad did that a few weeks ago. I was there to help him with his yearly wood gathering & he pulled his 260 out the night before for the first time since last year. Gassed & oiled it up ass-ackwards in a slightly dark garage. It was worse though as he actually got to the point of trying to start it. Wouldn't start-up...lol. He ended-up having to pour gas straight into the carb the next morning while I pulled the cord about a hundred times. I, being rather more safety minded, actually had to convince him to set the break while we conducted those four-handed starting manuevers! Smoked pretty good when it finally fired. No harm done, except both of us being covered in atomized mix & my arm was sore before even starting the wood-gathering :-/

Oh, and good call leaving the widow-maker for the pros. If your buddy doesn't wanna pay for one of them fancy "Tree Services" he should call my man James, he's the best, just watch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZCD-Mu-ZXQ

midwestcoast said:
Oh, and good call leaving the widow-maker for the pros. If your buddy doesn't wanna pay for one of them fancy "Tree Services" he should call my man James, he's the best, just watch:

James rocks! He nailed that car, just off center by "that much!"

Rayza, I have to admit that I have came very close to doing this. Fortunately there is a quick fix if you do it though....unless it happens out in the woods.

I did that once . . . as soon as I did it I had the "D'oh" moment . . . fortunately I was on a work detail with a guy from the local Husky dealership who said he sees this all the time . . . he had me dump out the oil and put in the good stuff and flush that out once and then refilled . . . and then started up . . . a bit more smoke . . . which would have been good if there were mosquitoes in the area, but since this was December in Maine all it did was make a nice smoke screen.

I hate to admit it but I did that this spring but worse! I started it it stalled and I started it again and again. And I didn't figure it out. I gave it to my friend and he checked it out and said you dummy! Drained the fuel out of the oil and the oil out of the fuel. It smoked a lot until all the oil was burn out but it runs fine now.

Billy

Put some gas in the bar oil once and also realized what I had done before starting it up...no biggie, gave the bar oil tank a bit of a wash is all. My real duh moment was a few years ago filling up my push mower with kerosene....pulled and pulled but just would not start. A nearby garage also tried all sorts of things until one of them opend the fuel cap and got a smell of the "fuel". Was hard to live that one down! I have since labeled every container in LARGE BOLD letters!

Not done that one but putting the chain on backwards smarts awell! Another one that chaps my @ss is always out of fuel......

Beowulf said:
midwestcoast said:

James rocks! He nailed that car, just off center by "that much!"

That is by far my favorite Youtube tree-felling vid. He's got some competition out there, but James gets my vote as Most Dangerous Man With A Saw!

smokinjay said:
Not done that one but putting the chain on backwards smarts awell! Another one that chaps my @ss is always out of fuel......

Jay, I did that last year. I wondered what was wrong with that thing until I looked at the chain. Duh....

I put the bar & chain oil in the gas tank once. I noticed when I went to fill the oil tank and realized that I was grabbing the same jug I used to "gas" up. I dumped the oil, added fuel and it started up just fine.

Did the same thing 22 years ago to a McCollough (sp?). But, I didn't stop there. Since I needed the saw, I drained the oil and put a lean gas/oil mixture in and promptly flooded it. So, I took the plug out to let it dry out. When I went to put the plug back in, I didn't get it started right and started to strip the threads. Is the spark plug metal harder than the head of this chainsaw??? So, I had to run it over to a mister fixit and he helped rethread the head and I got it running with lots of smoke while the other help was yelling that the mixture was too rich! Good Times!

Yep, I did it.

NE346XP_oil_in_fuel02.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.