Oh wonderful ash!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aansorge

Minister of Fire
Aug 12, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Cut a load of ash today. I actually wasn't sure if it was ash until I split it. I thought it might be elm as the bark was sort of in between the two.

It was a perfect score. Two nice sized trees laid over just enough to keep the entire trunk off the ground and yet suspended by its roots instead of its branches! Talk about easy cutting.

To top it off, when I split a piece (like butter) the moisture content was between 16 and 19.

Ash rocks!

Sorry no pics :eek:

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Nice... Been cutting some dead ash the last couple weeks myself. Very Dry and Very Light......

Between what I put up last amd what I am getting this year. I will be birning almost all Ash for the next couple years.

Good wood that dries quickly. Here are pics of some Ash I recently got.

Attachments

• wood2.jpg
    wood2.jpg
    581.9 KB · Views: 130
  • wood1.jpg
    wood1.jpg
    726.4 KB · Views: 125
Every pile should have some ash, seasons quick and burns good. It seems to be the most prevalent wood besides oak here used for firewood.

Reactions: ScotO
I wish Ash was more prevalent in my scrounges. Just does not work out that way. I get stuck with all of this oak and maple. Hmmmm, well it could be worse I guess.

KC

Poor Doug

Great - definitely nice cutting when you can buck rounds while walking down the trunk. Saw can get a little heavy after a while though. Cheers!

Too bad it will all be gone before we know it. At least half of what I usually burn is white ash..........

Two or three years and it will all be on the ground rotting here. Around here it has been dead for 4 or 5 years now. It's about all I've burnt for the last 4 years.

Yeah ash is a wonderful wood, but as others have stated its days are numbered. We are on the brink of losing it all, sadly, and there is a lot of ash where I live. I'd estimate that almost a third of my stack is ash. I love burning it and I will miss it someday.

To top it off, when I split a piece (like butter) the moisture content was between 16 and 19.
That's low MC; Even the dead standing I get here is a bit higher than that...
Two or three years and it will all be on the ground rotting here. Around here it has been dead for 4 or 5 years now. It's about all I've burnt for the last 4 years.
Wow, now I'm wondering if I should have gotten so far ahead on other wood; Maybe I should have been taking the Ash because that bass turd bug is almost here. Oh well, the wood I got was dead and needed to be stacked and protected. I don't know how long it is after the bugs arrive that the trees start dying, but dead Ash here will last for several years if it's standing.

It will stand for a couple years. But not much longer.

I planted several small ones in my yard a few years back. So far, so good.

Cut the rest of the same score yesterday. More of the same: big rounds registering 16 to 17 % moisture. Then I cut a few red oak rounds: off the charts of the moisture meter.

Both days I had a pair of bald eagles watching over me while I cut and loaded; topped off two perfect days of cutting.

Cut a load of ash today. I actually wasn't sure if it was ash until I split it. I thought it might be elm as the bark was sort of in between the two.

It was a perfect score. Two nice sized trees laid over just enough to keep the entire trunk off the ground and yet suspended by its roots instead of its branches! Talk about easy cutting.

Ash rocks!

Sorry no pics :eek:

You have found what many of us have. Ash is great firewood and the frosting on the cake is that it splits very well. Enjoy.

As much as I enjoy cutting it... Just had a load delivered about 1 hr ago. About 80% ash. Maybe more..

Attachments

• 2012-04-23_19-40-10_404.jpg
    2012-04-23_19-40-10_404.jpg
    492.7 KB · Views: 135
  • 2012-04-23_19-36-28_909.jpg
    2012-04-23_19-36-28_909.jpg
    377.2 KB · Views: 110
Status
Not open for further replies.