ohio firewood for sale

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

razerface

Minister of Fire
Jan 1, 2014
Ohio
Reactions: smokinj
at those prices, they must be talking about a "face cord" maybe? (1/3 of a cord)

Or did natural gas just hit in this area and they have the pipeline come through and they have a whole bunch of logs they are just looking to get rid of? (Even if that's the case, which we have here, the prices haven't dropped like that)

Something is off if that's for a full cord.... hmm

I never called them. I figured somebody here that needs the wood will find out. I could call, and maybe go look at it if it is close. The number is in my area code. I'll get more info tomorrow and post it. I do not want wood, I get mine free.

By their description,,, it is a big amount, which would help the price. Maybe someone (tree guy) who did not get all sold out and does not want it to set around till next year.

i called them,,,curious you know,,,

He says,,,
it is mixed hardwood
split for 1 year
wants to sell in bulk and will do better then the 33 per cord if you buy it all.

The bad news,,,he got fishy when pressed for a cord or facecord measurement. He says they do not measure it out,,,but promises you will get more then your moneys worth and has a bobcat to load it. He also mentioned the "place down the road" that sells unseasoned, wet face cord for $145,, and thinks a face cord is 3/4 of a cord.
He does not know what seasoned is,,as he says the rounds are seasoned too and ready to split and burn,,,but when questioned,,admitted some are 2-3 ft long. That may be ok around here since there are a lot of OWB that take longer wood.

My impression: I think you better have a good idea of what a cord looks like in a pile if you go there, and be prepared to season the wood more. I think it may be a good place to pick up a bunch of cheap wood if you know what you are looking at.

He mentioned over and over the wood needs to go,, and they will make deals with anyone who buys in bulk. Promises happiness to all buyers :)

He also said you must make appointment to see the wood.

Last edited:
Reactions: smokinj
This place is really close to my house, like a mile. I think I've seen "the place down the road". The crazy bit is the place "up the road" is REALLY nice. There's a residence there with lots of trees. If it's that guy's place, then I could see this happening.

In slightly unrelated news, they're putting in a Costco at Feedwire and Wilmington, and the trees never stood a chance. Those guys are piling up some BIG piles.

Can you see the wood? Does it look like there is 150 cord laying around?

I think you have to know what a 150 cords look like in a pile. Sounds fishy

I looked the number up and it's a local landscaping company. It could be anywhere. I did some recon before I called up and down the street and didn't see anything. I drove past the Costco development and nearly became sick to my stomach. They've probably bulldozed 5-10 acres of mature forest. Saw a big semi getting a load of logs. They're making piles of trees the size of mobile homes. Ugh.

I'll call that number for an address but I don't think I could buy any of the Costco wood.

Reactions: Paulywalnut
i think it would look twice as big as 75 cords in a pile,,,,,,,
You know what? I'll take it. I'll be up. Wonder what size truck? 150 trips x 400 miles. Forget it.:)
I looked the number up and it's a local landscaping company. It could be anywhere. I did some recon before I called up and down the street and didn't see anything. I drove past the Costco development and nearly became sick to my stomach. They've probably bulldozed 5-10 acres of mature forest. Saw a big semi getting a load of logs. They're making piles of trees the size of mobile homes. Ugh.

I'll call that number for an address but I don't think I could buy any of the Costco wood.
They sell everything, including firewood in large volume!!!

He must not be selling much. I got a call from them yesterday wanting to know if I was still interested. I told him I was not. Might be a deal there now. I have never seen the wood.

I'm question his ability to estimate 150 cords. He is talking about 19,200 sqft of logs. That is one huge pile of logs.

I just checked the Costco development with an area calculator. According to the calculator, they've bulldozed 38 acres of trees!! There was another unattached area of trees that I'm guessing was 8 acres, so maybe there might be a connection between between these two actors.

But rereading the original post, sounds like the CL ad wood originated in 2013 (or earlier), and the Costco development has to be later

Status
Not open for further replies.