Ohio Issues State of Emergency for Fuel.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EastMtn

Burning Hunk
May 19, 2013
The governor has issued a state of emergency due to low supplies of HHO and propane. Is pellet fuel low there as well? How are you all faring with the constant bombardment of cold air?

Almost every storm so far has missed NM this season and we're in a rather unique situation this year. We're in our 2nd week of red flag fire weather conditions due to the lack of moisture. We've hit consistent early Spring temps and the Forestry dept is predicting that NM forests will be closed by May for the summer if the situation doesn't improve.

My household may get buy on 2 to 2.5 tons of pellets this year. On another note I sure am enjoying this ton of Rocky Mountain Super Premiums from TSC. It's a night and day difference in heat and ash.

http://www.wkyc.com/story/news/local/2014/01/18/ohio-energy-emergency-declaration/4641949/

Plenty of pellets. Have to run the oil furnace when bitterly cold w/ wind in order to get the upstairs to 60. Pellets keep downstairs comfortable. But, here we are, in the Utica shale, no ng for us, and, just over the hill is the new cryogenic plant. All that gas it's burning off could power the entire county indefinitely!

Attachments

• crygenic plant flame 2013small.jpg
    crygenic plant flame 2013small.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 163
Propain broke the record average price in the state(MN)last week . $2.33

$3.50 here no HHO shortage

Normally I pay around $1.90 to fill the propane tank. I called today, and if I needed it filled it would cost $3.05. Ouch. It's cheaper to heat with electricity.

Need to go get some of the AWF at Lowes...$180/ton right now.

diesel at the speedway today (southern NE OH) was 3.59/gal; lowest it's been in ages. Would have expected it to rise if HHO price had gone up...

much as i hate to say it this kind of stuff could result in a bounce in the wood/pellet stove market. hate to see it happen this way though.

hope things get straightened out up there soon
That's what I was thinking.

Would have expected it to rise if HHO price had gone up...

I don't think HHO and diesel cross paths in the way you think. They are close cousins but they are traded in different markets so there is a delay in the effect that one has on the other. I used to be an energy trader but never worked with liquid fuel products.

Glad to hear the pellet burners are doing okay. I hope the propane and HHO folks get through this okay.

Although they say we do not have a problem here, as yet, according to CTV news out of Barrie ONT. tonight, persistent cold weather here is putting a strain on transportation The cost has shot up from a low of 70 cents a litre to a high of $1.10 a litre or $4.16 a U.S. gallon.

http://barrie.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=280939

Last edited:
Although they say we do not have a problem here, as yet, according to CTV news out of Barrie ONT. tonight, persistent cold weather here is putting a strain on transportation The cost has shot up from a low of 70 cents a litre to a high of $1.10 a litre or $5.50 a U.S. gallon.

http://barrie.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=280939

$1.10 per litre is $4.17 per gallon

Last edited:
The governor has issued a state of emergency due to low supplies of HHO and propane. Is pellet fuel low there as well? How are you all faring with the constant bombardment of cold air?

Almost every storm so far has missed NM this season and we're in a rather unique situation this year. We're in our 2nd week of red flag fire weather conditions due to the lack of moisture. We've hit consistent early Spring temps and the Forestry dept is predicting that NM forests will be closed by May for the summer if the situation doesn't improve.

My household may get buy on 2 to 2.5 tons of pellets this year. On another note I sure am enjoying this ton of Rocky Mountain Super Premiums from TSC. It's a night and day difference in heat and ash.

http://www.wkyc.com/story/news/local/2014/01/18/ohio-energy-emergency-declaration/4641949/
Here on Long island HHO is $4.25 including the increase of 7 cents this week and next week they say another increase. It is basically the Oil companies hiking the prices just because they can blame cold weather. Plenty of oil around everywhere in the world. Thank god for Trees and wood. I have to work hard to find decent cord wood in this area simply because finding fully seasoned hardwood is a constant challenge. Thank goodness next year there will be mountains of "Sandy" wood that is finally ready to burn.

$1.10 per litre is $4.17 per gallon
$4.17 per metric gal (4 L) is less than $3.84 per U.S gal, taking into account for the present CAD/USD exchange rate .;)

$4.17 per metric gal (4 L) is less than $3.84 per U.S gal, taking into account for the present CAD/USD exchange rate .;)[/quo

The exchange rate is Looking better and better all the time if you are near the border, not sure if they will let u cross either way with a two or three hundred gallon tank in the back of your pickup.

I take my own gas for my car across the border in 4 five gal. plastic cans. This gives me enough gas for the trips to my house on PEI, round trip. Why pat $1.30+ for gasoline. The border agents don't give it a second look. You could probably doo the same thing with Kerosene or Diesel fuel, if you're near the border. A lot of places sell fuel for off road use so you don't end up paying all those taxes. If you took 5 or 6 cans a week across, i don't see how it would be a problem.

I take my own gas for my car across the border in 4 five gal. plastic cans. This gives me enough gas for the trips to my house on PEI, round trip. Why pat $1.30+ for gasoline. The border agents don't give it a second look. You could probably doo the same thing with Kerosene or Diesel fuel, if you're near the border. A lot of places sell fuel for off road use so you don't end up paying all those taxes. If you took 5 or 6 cans a week across, i don't see how it would be a problem.

But i was thinking a big old white propane tank i do not think it will work.

We just had our HHO refilled Monday for $3.529. Our oil guy is a friend and will usually fill us right before a spike in price. Worst I've paid was a few years back at around $4.25.

Still working on a manageable wood/ecobrick addition to help ease the HHO use.

Status
Not open for further replies.