1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Ohio Pellets 175/ton

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Don B, Aug 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Don B

Don B New Member

Loc:
    Springfield, OHIO USA
    The TSC in Bellefontaine is selling them for 175/ton.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Ductape

Ductape Member

Loc:
    Central NH
    Yikes ! I just ordered a ton at TSC here in NH for $239.50 / ton. I think we are getting bamboozled out here !!
  3. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    What brand? Is that standard or premium grade?
  4. Wet1

Wet1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    USA
    I still fail to see why pellets are so much cheaper in the midwest... Is it simply lower demand?
  5. smoke show

smoke show Guest

Just about everybodys on natural gas around here. Except me of course.
  6. cac4

cac4 New Member

Loc:
    Essex County, MA
    "everything" is less expensive there. labor is cheaper. mostly, *real estate*. It takes a lot of space to store this stuff...even if a pellet dealer's yard is only a temporary stop between the factory and a customer's house.
  7. homebrewz

homebrewz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    East Central, NY
    Don't feel so bad.. here in upstate NY (and I mean near Albany) they are selling anywhere from $250 to $279 per ton, no matter what the brand name.
  8. Nick857

Nick857 New Member

Loc:
    Ohio
    I am not sure about brand name but the Lima OH TSC did have them for $3.79 a bag or $3.59 a bag for one ton. Did notice ash was listed as less than 1%. Local stove dealers have premium pellets for $195 to just over $200 a ton.
  9. kinsmanstoves

kinsmanstoves Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kinsman, Oh 44428 Brookfield, Oh 44403
    Shipping has a lot to do with pellet pricing.

Eric
  10. Justaddwater

Justaddwater New Member

Loc:
    central Ohio
    Myself and three other purchased 16 ton @ 163/ton in April from this same store.

The manager told me if there was ever a state to live in and heat with pellets Ohio is the place. He said Ohio is surrounded by pellet producing states Michigan, Kentucky, West Virgina and PA. they either need to transport thru Ohio to get to the east coast or the delivery charge is reasonable due to the proximity of plants to customers.

I'm not trying to rub salt in wounds, just passing info along.

The brand is Somerset premium pellets. Top of the line pellet.
  11. JustWood

JustWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Arrow Bridge,NY
    Ash logs and polewood are banned from being transported in OH and MI and other nearby states due to EAB. Therefore the only way to rid your woods of EAB infested ash trees is to burn or in-woods whole tree chipping which makes raw material for pellet manufacturers. Bark free chips can be transported in these states if they meet small enough spec. i.e. Small enough that the bug or larvae is rendered incapacitated,.

There are no marketable ash logs in quarantined states . This means that the WHLOE TREE not just logging slash goes into chips which makes for a glut of raw material on the market.

I'm sure there are other factors also like cheap propane and the fact that there is a gaswell every square mile and cheap coal.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.