Oil and Pellet stove one thermostat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmansfield04

Jan 23, 2016
Maine
Hey everyone! New to the forum first post.

Hoping someone can help me with this question. I have a Quadra fire pellet stove and an oil boiler for heating my home. When oil is cheap I run the boiler and when it's expensive I use pellets. I've been using one thermostat which is centrally located in the house and manually connecting the tstat wires to the unit I want to use for heat. This has been working pretty well however there are times I would like to easily switch the thermostat from one unit to the other without moving my thermostat wires. My question is, how would I connect a switch so I could easily toggle the tstat between the two units? My thermostat wires are two wire. My thinking is that I could use a SPDT switch but I may be way off on that. A wiring diagram would be most helpful!

Thanks,
Josh

How about a second thermostat installed in the same location?

I'd think a DPDT 6 terminal switch would work. Search ebay for those - there may be a wiring schematic. Or big box store will have them.
Eg: Tstat 2 wires go to center 2 leads. Oil heat 2 wires go to Left 2 leads, Pellet heat 2 wires go to Right 2 leads. The toggle is centered = nothing happens, Thrown L = oil, thrown R = pellet.
When you get a switch, check terminal continuity with a multimeter - and ask does juice flow the way I want it to?

I like the DPDT 6 terminal switch idea. I wouldn't have thought of that. I don't have the same setup as you, but I have a wood/fuel oil combination furnace with two seperate thermostats. I have just a regular household switch hooked up to my oil portion so I can keep the oil from kicking on while I add wood so I don't burn myself. You could always put a switch on each device, effectively turning one off when you want it, and the other one on. Just pick a wire to splice into with a switch. I don't believe it matters which one.

Status
Not open for further replies.