Oil Boiler Makup Water?: Going away for a month

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
If one you had a house with an oil boiler and were going away for a month in the winter, what would you do to avoid potential problems?
I was thinking the water could be shut off and system drained but the boiler could require some makeup water.
In a normal system, is much makeup water required?
I guess the boiler could be filled with antifreeze and if the level gets to= low it should shut off on low water level.

i guess it depends on the system, i bought my house in 2003, and when i went away in the winter i thought about the same thing. i just recently figured out the valve for my make up water had been shut off all this time. so, i wouldnt hesitate to shut my water off now, knowing my system stayed charged for at least 5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.