1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Oil burner "annual service"

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by Badfish740, Oct 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Badfish740

Badfish740 Minister of Fire

Our new home has oil heat which is one of the primary reasons I'm so interested in installing a wood add-on furnace. However, it's of course important to keep the oil furnace in good working order. I recently got a price quote of 275.00 for "annual service." What does this entail? I'm a pretty handy guy, so if I can get the parts and there are no specialized tools involved, can I do it myself? I know that the filter needs to be changed, but what else? Where can I get parts?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. daveswoodhauler

daveswoodhauler Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    That price is way too high. We pay anywhere from $85-$120 in this area. I think you should call around and get some optional quotes.
  3. BrownianHeatingTech

BrownianHeatingTech Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwood, NH
    Annual service should entail:
    -changing the oil filter
    -replacing the nozzle
    -cleaning or replacing the screen in the oil pump (most pumps have one)
    -brushing and vacuuming out the soot/scale from the heat exchanger, combustion chamber, and flue pipe
    -inspecting the system for safety and proper operation
    -re-adjusting combustion using a quality combustion analyzer

Prices here are $120-150 (pretty much, existing customer versus new customer).

Of course prices will vary by region, so there's no single "correct" price, but $225 does seem a bit high...

Joe
  4. eba1225

eba1225 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Chester Springs, Pa
    My scheduled service is $150 with an additional $30 for parts (Filter, Nozzle and Electrodes)
  5. Beanscoot

Beanscoot Member

Loc:
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Yes, I'm afraid that someone is trying to give you the old Oil burner "anal service".
  6. ScottF

ScottF New Member

Loc:
    Southern NH
    Will the annual anal service include cleaning all of the soot from your flue pipe.
  7. hh3f

hh3f Member

Loc:
    Niantic Ct
    Is it possible that this is a service contract for the season and not just a one time cleaning.
  8. burntime

burntime New Member

Loc:
    C'mon hunting season!
    Oh, sounds like they are giving them a "service" for sure! Get a new guy, I am not much for gouging!
  9. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    I'm getting mine inspected next week. I looked at the label on the unit today it seems to say that nozzle size could be .75 or 1.0, I assume gph. Should I request the .75 if it doen't have it already, assuming it could keep the house warm in the worst case?
  10. Beanscoot

Beanscoot Member

Loc:
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    I think those are the minimum and maximum nozzle sizes. There are .85 gallon per minute nozzles as well, and possibly .95. My older oil burner book says that higher efficiencies are attained with smaller nozzles. The ideal nozzle size is the smallest which will keep the house at the desired temperature on the coldest day of the year, when furnace is running 100% of the time.
    A larger nozzle will heat the house up from cold more quickly at the cost of a bit of efficiency.

When you say you are getting an inspection does this include maintenance? The burner air adjustment needs to be adjusted when changing nozzle sizes.
  11. SteveT

SteveT Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    West of Boston
    I pay in the same range but it is for an annual service contract not an annual service....

The contract includes a warranty on many parts and as many service calls as needed. Included in that that they do a single annual cleaning which would cost about $125 from an independent.

It could be a decent deal, particularly if you have an older system.
  12. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    Beanscoot: Yeah, I guess I should have said maintenance. From my observation last year they changed the nozzle, and I figure I might try to go low if it's not there yet.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.