Oil burner "annual service"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Badfish740

Minister of Fire
Oct 3, 2007
Our new home has oil heat which is one of the primary reasons I'm so interested in installing a wood add-on furnace. However, it's of course important to keep the oil furnace in good working order. I recently got a price quote of 275.00 for "annual service." What does this entail? I'm a pretty handy guy, so if I can get the parts and there are no specialized tools involved, can I do it myself? I know that the filter needs to be changed, but what else? Where can I get parts?

That price is way too high. We pay anywhere from $85-$120 in this area. I think you should call around and get some optional quotes.

Annual service should entail:
-changing the oil filter
-replacing the nozzle
-cleaning or replacing the screen in the oil pump (most pumps have one)
-brushing and vacuuming out the soot/scale from the heat exchanger, combustion chamber, and flue pipe
-inspecting the system for safety and proper operation
-re-adjusting combustion using a quality combustion analyzer

Prices here are $120-150 (pretty much, existing customer versus new customer).

Of course prices will vary by region, so there's no single "correct" price, but $225 does seem a bit high...

Joe

Oh, sounds like they are giving them a "service" for sure! Get a new guy, I am not much for gouging!

I'm getting mine inspected next week. I looked at the label on the unit today it seems to say that nozzle size could be .75 or 1.0, I assume gph. Should I request the .75 if it doen't have it already, assuming it could keep the house warm in the worst case?

I think those are the minimum and maximum nozzle sizes. There are .85 gallon per minute nozzles as well, and possibly .95. My older oil burner book says that higher efficiencies are attained with smaller nozzles. The ideal nozzle size is the smallest which will keep the house at the desired temperature on the coldest day of the year, when furnace is running 100% of the time.
A larger nozzle will heat the house up from cold more quickly at the cost of a bit of efficiency.

When you say you are getting an inspection does this include maintenance? The burner air adjustment needs to be adjusted when changing nozzle sizes.

Badfish740 said:
Our new home has oil heat which is one of the primary reasons I'm so interested in installing a wood add-on furnace. However, it's of course important to keep the oil furnace in good working order. I recently got a price quote of 275.00 for "annual service." What does this entail? I'm a pretty handy guy, so if I can get the parts and there are no specialized tools involved, can I do it myself? I know that the filter needs to be changed, but what else? Where can I get parts?

I pay in the same range but it is for an annual service contract not an annual service....

The contract includes a warranty on many parts and as many service calls as needed. Included in that that they do a single annual cleaning which would cost about $125 from an independent.

It could be a decent deal, particularly if you have an older system.

Beanscoot: Yeah, I guess I should have said maintenance. From my observation last year they changed the nozzle, and I figure I might try to go low if it's not there yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.