oil burner came on while there was a fire going in newmac combo furnace...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CowboyAndy

Feb 29, 2008
Chateaugay, NY
This morning I had already gotten a fire going (and was going good too) when the oil burner kicked on. I have the oil tstat set to 64 because I have had trouble getting a good overnight burn. Well there I was, smoking my morning cigarette watching the fire (had been going for 2-3 min) when I heard the oil burner come on. I noticed that as soon as the oil burner ignited, the fire I had going almost instantly dissapeared. I imediatly ran upstairs and shut off the tstat for the oil and went back down and the fire was where it was before the oil came on.

My main question is what could happen with both going at the same time?

The furnace is a Newmac cl-86 wood/oil combo.

What "could" happen? Well, you "could" fill your house with carbon monoxide. Which is why building codes don't allow wood and oil/gas on one flu. If your setup is a combination unit, I would consider checking the temperature settings on your aquastats. I believe my wood blower kicks on when my boiler reaches 160. The oil will kick on if the temp drops to 150. The wood blower then shuts down at 180.

If the unit is a shared flue, then thats how its made.The oil burner should be seperate from the firebox. I think it should be okay, if installed properly. I have a woodfurnace in series with our lp furnace. Both will operate at the same time without any problems, but thats 2 seperate appliances. If its a duel fuel appliance, I cant see a company designing something that can't operate both fuels at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.