Oil Consumption Before Pellet Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Papelletman

Mar 17, 2014
Montgomery County, PA.
This past March 13th is when I installed and started using my New Pellet Stove. I just now added up this years and last years oil usage. This winter was 876 gallons, and last winter was 665 gallons, if I do the math it would be 7.5 tons of pellets this year and 5.5 tons for last year, how much do you think I should look to stock for next year? Luckily I do have a big garage.

If you have the money and the room go with the 7 ton. It is OK to have leftovers.

When I was heating with oil, I would use about 650 gallons from November to April. After the switch over to pellets, I use 3 - 4 tons over the same period. I normally buy 4 tons in the spring but due to the shortage and the long winter, I upped my usual purchase to 6 tons.

This past March 13th is when I installed and started using my New Pellet Stove. I just now added up this years and last years oil usage. This winter was 876 gallons, and last winter was 665 gallons, if I do the math it would be 7.5 tons of pellets this year and 5.5 tons for last year, how much do you think I should look to stock for next year? Luckily I do have a big garage.
Buy 5 tons, and pick up bags as the Winter goes on. You'll get a sense of how things are going and whether you'll need more, etc.

Reactions: Jack Morrissey
7 1/2 tons of pellets? Your Classic Bay will be working its heart out to burn that many in a season and keep your entire house warm enough to not need the oil burner to come on at all. I suspect that it will 'supplement' your usage of oil so, as chken said, 5 tons may well be enough.
Where in Montgomery County do you live? I'm from Pottstown, lived in Royersford and went to Ursinus! :)
I'll forgo scolding you for not getting coal since we are fellow Montgomerians. :)

I am in Plymouth Meeting, as far as coal? I like my pellet stove.. I do see that coal stoves can throw some serious BTU's, but just a little to dirty for me. The Quad hooked up to my LUX 5-1-1 thermostat makes it real nice and easy (I see from your sig you know what I mean there).

I am in Plymouth Meeting, as far as coal? I like my pellet stove.. I do see that coal stoves can throw some serious BTU's, but just a little to dirty for me. The Quad hooked up to my LUX 5-1-1 thermostat makes it real nice and easy (I see from your sig you know what I mean there).
Yes, I have two quads but if coal were available here, I would have two Quads on Craigslist tonight. The modern stokers from Leisureline, Readingstoves, and Keystoker are crazy simple to operate, do use thermostats that regulate from around 7000 btu up to 90,000 so it isn't like the old style where you sweat until the fire goes down. And they are not as dirty as people make them out to be, if, just like pellets, you learn how to handle them. For the cost of your 7 1/2 tons of pellets, you could easily buy enough coal to last you probably 2 1/2 years when you take into account the btu/pound difference and the cost. Of course, that's water over the bridge. Just saying it for the next newbie to consider.

Our furnace was only run for a few hours total all winter and we hit close to 50 below many days. In fact we broke the record for most below zero days in a winter and that's not counting wind chills

-50??????? Better buy a new thermometer. :)

No unfortunately, the thermometer was right. Coldest winter on record for Winnipeg in 116 years:( (December, January & February)
HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Before we started with pellets (this has been our 3d season) we burned, on average, 1200 gallons of oil/year, for heat and DHW. Now, with the rare day I run the heat for an hour or so per day (less rare this year with the frigid cold day after day) and with DHW, I burn about 350 gallons a year + 4 to 5 tons of pellets in a cold year like this (4 1/2 so far) and about 3 1/2 in a more average year. A bargain to me!

They are right Tom. I burned 7 tons myself. Previous was 5 1/2 tons average for the normal winters. We did have a unusually warm one 3 or 4 years ago but made up for it this past winter.
50 below must have frozen a lot of water pipes. You guys must be close to permafrost conditions! :)

50 below must have frozen a lot of water pipes. You guys must be close to permafrost conditions! :)
Just about 3 weeks ago I was hearing of frozen water lines breaking. It gets worse as it warms up The ground heaves as it warms up causing some pipes to break and certain spots on highways to heave.

Reactions: tjnamtiw
Status
Not open for further replies.