Oil delivery, UNREAL!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adrpga498

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2005
New Jersey
Wife calls me at work today and said the oil man was at the house. I'm thinking wrong day , not having service to the furnas until Thursday. She says , "no. Its not the annual service start up van, but the big oil delivery truck". Now I'm begining to laugh. And I said to her we just got a delivery October 25th. ( 50 gallons since last fill in February not too bad) She says I know but the guy was here. I asked did you see if he put any oil in the tank and she said "he already left". Well I figured he must have Looked and realized I wasn't in need of oil. But NOOOOOOOOOO he fills her up. 3.9 gallons I start to laugh out loud when I read the ticket. Too funny they must have a new driver, or they forgot about that knuckle head (me) with those silly looking wood piles in his yard. Now I'm not trying to brag and say I'm only gonna burn about 10 gallons a month especially when the real cold weather is right around the corner. But I do feel it was a funny moment and I wanted to share it with you folks. Keep warm.

Now that is funny. I'll bet you'll tell lots of people about this one and get plenty more laughs.

Does make you wonder if your wood pile is within sight of the oil tank... There is probably a gauge on the tank too. lol

Sort of makes stacking all that wood worth it. Would have been better if you'd been home at the time or just getting home as he is rolling up the hose.

This brings up a good point. You have to be sure to keep an eye on that automatic delivery thing. I had them coming and it seemed to me my bills were a bit much. So, I told them to take me off that and I would watch the guage and call when I needed oil. Low and behold, I go about a year inbetween fillings, I wonder where that other oil was going......

You should have them take you off from automatic delivery, it's just a matter of time before they come to deliver and overfill you tank, possibly rupturing it. I have seen it many times in my line of work and nobody will be laughing then.

You should have a vent alarm installed in the tank that will whistle when the tank is filling, it will stop whistling when the tank is like 7/8ths full (or there about). This eliminates overfills, spilled oil, etc.

hookspacken said:
You should have a vent alarm installed in the tank that will whistle when the tank is filling, it will stop whistling when the tank is like 7/8ths full (or there about). This eliminates overfills, spilled oil, etc.

In a perfect world this would work, but when your standing back by the truck having a smoke and the truck is pumping out 60 gallons per minute it doesn't give you much reaction time.

a neighbor just had oil delivered the other day. $3.50/gallon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adirondackwoodburner said:
a neighbor just had oil delivered the other day. $3.50/gallon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OUCH that hurts.

budman said:
OUCH that hurts.
Thats cheap!!! $1.15 a ltr or $4.35 a gallon here.& thats Canadian $ :sick:

budman said:
OUCH that hurts.

I can tell you something else that hurts, going back to my oil delivery horror stories. When the delivery man mistakenly goes to your neighbors house, but last year your neighbor got sick of the high price of oil and now heats with pellets. So to free up some room in the basement he removes the oil tank, but leaves the fill and vent pipes still sticking out of the side of the house. Now we have 60 gallons a minute of #2 heating oil free flowing into your newly finished basement.
True story.

Status
Not open for further replies.