Oil(?) Drip From Pellet Vent Pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkF48

Feeling the Heat
Nov 14, 2011
Central MA
Or at least I think it's oil....

Fired up new Harman XXV for the first time yesterday and after a short while noticed a small puddle (about 1 1/2" dia.) of clear liquid on the floor at the first 90 deg elbow at the upright piece that goes to the flue. Hadn't sealed the seams and joints as of yet when this occurred. About the viscosity of a 20W oil, clear, and feels like oil. Wondering if some kind of silicone based lube is used in the manufacture of the piping (Simpson Dura-Vent) that could be coming out as the pipe heats. I did find some posts about oil drips from a Harman stove, but these appeared to occur directly beneath the stove.

I used Simpson Duravent also, unfortunately (Pellet Vent Pro, it's horrible stuff, they should not be allowed to sell this crap)

There was a coating of oil on the inside, I guess to prevent corrosion, though I did not think it was enough to drip, especially through a seem like that.

Seal up those seems before you die of smoke inhalation or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.