Oil Filter Wrench

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
I'm going to change the oil in the Simplicity Conquest along with the filter are there any oil filter wrenches better then the other.

Zap

woodsman23 said:
they sell a pliers type that are the best

woodsman23 thank you, your the man I just called and will be picking it up on Monday.

Zap

I use a plastic cup that grips the outside. It worked better before they started dipping the filters in a rubber compound. I like using the socket attachment to help remove a stuck filter though. I never liked the band ones.

Matt

zapny said:
I'm going to change the oil in the Simplicity Conquest along with the filter are there any oil filter wrenches better then the other.

Zap

Zap I use an old 2" wide leather belt and it works well..

Ray

Be sure to grip the filter very near the base, or right at the end. Otherwise the metal just collapses, since it's thin and unsupported. This is true for most filter wrenches. I use a metal band type wrench, and it works every time for me, cars or tractors. Just don't overtighten the new one, it's easy to do!

raybonz said:
zapny said:

Zap

Ray

wow! talk about funny! i thought i was the only one to use the 2" leather belt trick....(damn chrome oil filter on a harley) worked great! but by far and large, the worst was when i had to actually drive a rod (screwdriver) through the casing of the oil filter, and then spin it off that way! Not on the harley though

yooperdave said:
raybonz said:
zapny said:

Zap

Ray

wow! talk about funny! i thought i was the only one to use the 2" leather belt trick....(damn chrome oil filter on a harley) worked great! but by far and large, the worst was when i had to actually drive a rod (screwdriver) through the casing of the oil filter, and then spin it off that way! Not on the harley though

Yup had to drive a stake through a filter once because it was put on without a coat of oil on the seal.. I like the belt in tight spaces too as you can get it in an easy to pull place away from many knuckle busters..

Ray

The one time I had to do that I literally tore the filter in half because it was on so tight. That had to have been in 97 or so and it still ticks me off.

Matt

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/partlist_Oil-Filter-Wrench_N3401A_T|GRP2082___#storeId=10151&langId=-1&catalogId=10051&sortBy=5&check=1&searchTerm;=&pageId=ajaxPartList&category=T|GRP2082&keywords=Oil-Filter-Wrench&l1;_categoryId=&l2;_categoryId=&partType=N3401A&facetFields=mfrName_exact,clearance,sale,l1_category,l2_category,part_type&beginIndex=0&pageSize=10&priceZoneZip_22982557=enter+zip+code&filters;=&selectedPartNumber;=&qty=1&ship2HomeClicked;=

Is there one better than the others.

Zap

I use my hands 90%+ of the time, rarely seem to have a situation where I can't get it off by hand, though sometimes you just can't get your hands in there, lie on the wife's Audi...Silverado is easy though. When the hands method doesn't work I use the old fashioned collapsing metal band filter wrenches...tried a few newer design wrenches and none of them have ever worked better for me. I like the ides of the ones that are just a giant socket, but there are too many different sized filters out there and I like having one or two filter wrenches for all my needs.

oil_filter_wrench.jpg

How do you guys use a leather belt? I've never heard of this and can't picture how you apply force with it.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Small-Oil-Filter-Pliers-Performance-Tools_99991061-P_N3401A_T|GRP2082_____

nothing compares with this one, even if the filter tears in half this one jusat grabs at the base and a simple twist and its off. I will never use anythng else...

Thanks for all the help, I stopped by this morning and bought a new oil filter ( the first one I put on was new but must of had a defect) even after I snugged it up more tonight it would leak.

I drained everything again and put on the new filter (hand tight) not one leak so the Simplicity Conquest is ready.

Zap

Status
Not open for further replies.