Oil for Manual Log Splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

04HemiRam2500

Feeling the Heat
Jul 10, 2013
SW PA
I have one of the manual dual pump log splitters. It is my main splitter and I have even split 22 inch diameter trees with it. I noticed that after you turn the knob to have the jack come back in, it leaks a little oil over time. Now I have noticed that it does not pump as well and you can hear like an air sound. Where do I add oil to the ump and what kind of oil do you use ion one of these?

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-ton-hydraulic-log-splitter-67090.html

I'm getting off the subject, but isn't thing looks like a lot of work and time per split?

I only burn four cords and for me this thing works good plus no gas needed. I see that there is a philips screw on the top of it. I am guessing that this is where you add it. I will look tomorrow and let all of you know. Thanks.

Most likely that screw, check that the end cap( where the ram slides) is tight. sounds like a seal is going south maybe on the piston. Lot of excersise with one of those.

If my floor jack is anything to go by, there may be a rubber plug in the side of the cylinder. Hydraulic fluid from AutoZone.

I tried to put fluid in the turn knob where I go to release the piston and the screw next to it and I did not see any go in? I try to pump it now and regardless of which pump lever I use it is only pushing the piston halfway out compare to what it used to do? What is causing this or is there a special way I need to install the fluid?

Reactions: Ashful
here.....
Capture1.JPG Capture.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.