Oil furnace/chimney insulation?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xxnonamexx

Dec 1, 2011
United States
I have been living in this house for 3 years and noticed a gap between my chimney and furnace. I was wondering if it is ok to seal this gap? Where the white light is on top of the cynder block and the wall IMG_20131113_175903165.jpg ThanksIMG_20131113_175926606.jpg

No not yet. Need to have someone inspect that whole chimney. With the size of that hole you may/probably have more issues.

The chimney was inspected 2 years ago and a double stainless steel liner was installed. The oil furnace was also recently serviced. What else would need to be checked by this gap?

Your covered then. Must have failed on inspection? Ergo the new liner? Yah I would fill it, I would also look to see if it's leaning over, don't want that to come tumbling down.

whats leaning over? The chimney is fine on the outside and the liner the company came back last year since I thought there was no draft for the boiler and they said liner is fine. What is Ergo? All I know is it was a double stainless steel liner installed 2 years ago. I don't know why this gap wasn't filled in earlier I thought there was a reason. I was going to use the gap sealer Great Stuff. Also this passed inspection so I am not sure what you meant by failed. I thought there was a good reason that this was open.

Last edited:
Might just be angles in the pic & perception etc. - just that in that pic, it looks like the chimney is falling down, more on one side than the other. Also seems to be a bit of crookedness in the pipe adding to that effect.

Internet distortion?

Are you talking about the venting pipe to chimney gap or the gap on top? Or the cement block above the pipe? I will take a side view of the pipe to show. I had the furnace and chimney people check it so I guess it is fine as far as the looks.

Well, not sure - but when I look at that pic, I think I'm seeing a smoke pipe entering a chimney, with a little bend then uphill to just before the chimney. And the zoomed out pic also looks like the chimney flange is tilted downhill. Then at the gap at the top, it looks like the left hand side of the chimney has settled more than the right since the gap is wider on that side, and also looks like pieces of masonary or masonary cement in the hole that might have fallen from above. All which just give the appearance of a chimney falling down.

But pictures don't always show the right storey, they can be deceiving sometimes.

I think this gives a better look at what you meant about the pipe. Well i had the house inspected in 2010 before I purchased it. My oil guy cleaned the burner last year and the chimney has a double stainless steel insert 2 years ago just installed and they came back last year to check draft and they said everything looks good. My FIL also works for HVAC and he also has oil furnace and nothing came to mind as a major issue arising.

IMG_20131114_134122178.jpg IMG_20131114_134130818.jpg

So you had a pro house inspector, A pro chimney co, a pro heating co, and an in family pro hvac guy Ok this chimney. Then you go to a wood heat forum and ask our advice?:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.