1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Oil Furnace Cleaning

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by thewoodlands, Nov 30, 2011.

1. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

He just left and said we should be good for another four years because of the amount we don't use it! :cheese:

zap

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    Mine only gets used for domestic hot water. I do turn it on 20 mins, 2x per winter just to make sure it works in case of emergency. I have the money set aside to replace it with propane, just haven't done it yet. Been about 4 years since my last cleaning also. Keep putting it off. I figure if it does die, then it'll motivate me to swap it out for a unit that isn't 49 years old!

pen
  3. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    :lol: I like that one zap. We don't even have a furnace so we can't have anyone check it.
  4. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

Heating with wood is sure working out nice, that big oil truck that came use to take out to much gravel in it's tires when he left. :grrr:

zap
  5. Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ridge, LI, NY
    Going into my 2nd year with no oil furnace functional. Wayyyyy better prepared this year :)
  6. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Yeah I keep intending to get that heat pump that died from lack of use in the nineties replaced. But my wife reminds me how much wood ten grand will buy.
  7. maverick06

maverick06 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    media, pa
    I havent had mine cleaned in 3 years... i think... at 30 gallons a year I have no intentions on getting it cleaned anytime soon.... I figured I used to get it cleaned once a year, at 650 gallons... so thats a long time before I will worry too much about it. When it needs work i will probably do it. replace the filter and the nozzle, probably wont bother playing the the pump settings.

That must be some heat pump you are looking at.... I had my centeral AC replaced with AC/heat pump (3 or 3.5 tons, i forget), lots of new duct work....$ 7500... might consider that prices are coming down.

Its nice to have something when you arent home.
  8. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    That is the only good thing about my propane furnace. I don't know if the money saved on not needing yearly cleaning makes up for the $5.00/gallon fuel though. Thank goodness for free firewood and a good stove.
  9. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Every room in the house has a oil filled radiator and a separate plug in thermostat set on sixty five. Never had to use it except for a yearly test but seems to keep the place fine.

And yes, I mapped the circuits for the loads.

On the topic. I am always amazed that people freak out over a hundred and fifty or so for the annual chimney cleaning and checkout when they think nothing of it for the oil burner.