Oil Furnace Cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
He just left and said we should be good for another four years because of the amount we don't use it! :cheese:

zap

Mine only gets used for domestic hot water. I do turn it on 20 mins, 2x per winter just to make sure it works in case of emergency. I have the money set aside to replace it with propane, just haven't done it yet. Been about 4 years since my last cleaning also. Keep putting it off. I figure if it does die, then it'll motivate me to swap it out for a unit that isn't 49 years old!

pen

:lol: I like that one zap. We don't even have a furnace so we can't have anyone check it.

Backwoods Savage said:
:lol: I like that one zap. We don't even have a furnace so we can't have anyone check it.

Heating with wood is sure working out nice, that big oil truck that came use to take out to much gravel in it's tires when he left. :grrr:

zap

Going into my 2nd year with no oil furnace functional. Wayyyyy better prepared this year :)

Yeah I keep intending to get that heat pump that died from lack of use in the nineties replaced. But my wife reminds me how much wood ten grand will buy.

I havent had mine cleaned in 3 years... i think... at 30 gallons a year I have no intentions on getting it cleaned anytime soon.... I figured I used to get it cleaned once a year, at 650 gallons... so thats a long time before I will worry too much about it. When it needs work i will probably do it. replace the filter and the nozzle, probably wont bother playing the the pump settings.

That must be some heat pump you are looking at.... I had my centeral AC replaced with AC/heat pump (3 or 3.5 tons, i forget), lots of new duct work....$ 7500... might consider that prices are coming down.

Its nice to have something when you arent home.

That is the only good thing about my propane furnace. I don't know if the money saved on not needing yearly cleaning makes up for the $5.00/gallon fuel though. Thank goodness for free firewood and a good stove.

maverick06 said:
Its nice to have something when you arent home.

Every room in the house has a oil filled radiator and a separate plug in thermostat set on sixty five. Never had to use it except for a yearly test but seems to keep the place fine.

And yes, I mapped the circuits for the loads.

On the topic. I am always amazed that people freak out over a hundred and fifty or so for the annual chimney cleaning and checkout when they think nothing of it for the oil burner.

Status
Not open for further replies.