1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Oil Industry Propaganda?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Dana B, Mar 17, 2013.

1. tbuff

tbuff Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central NJ
    Thank you Scotl. He was having a great time and at 2 yrs old, he still likes hanging out with me!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. smwilliamson

smwilliamson Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    Back when I used to watch network tv (commercial free for 5 years!) I remember this campaign called "oil, the intelligent heat". At the time oil prices were on the rise but still under $3.00. Later that year prices skyrocketed to $4.00 and the commercials were still airing. You would have had to have been a moron to believe that oil heat was still cheaper than "any other alternative"

The overall message was something like," you work hard for your money so make the intelligent choice, fill up the tank and enjoy all the benefits"
  3. briansol

briansol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    central ct
    The 'clean coal' commercials and the BP ones about the gulf being the cleanest its ever bene still crack me up
  4. joescho

joescho Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northeastern PA

That's a great way of putting it.

I'm on the budget plan for electric (have electric baseboard). My budget plan dropped $60/month 12X60 = $720/year. However, that's for all electricity in the house not just for heat.
  5. russ79@hotmail.com

russ79@hotmail.com Member

Loc:
    saratoga, ny
    That is definitely a bunch of crap. I bought my stove in 2008 when oil went through the roof. I installed it myself, bought all the "chimney" parts and the first year bought 4 tons of pellets. When the end of the season came I had broke even. That would be ONE year, kinda far from 50 huh.
  6. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    Yes but to anyone doing that in 2009 would have seen the pellet/oil price difference a hell of a lot smaller. Then if like the writer of that article they assumed that would always be the case you do in fact get a very long payback period.
  7. save$

save$ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Chelsea Maine
    My stove's payback was during the second season. I usually want to say the fist season since I bought it with funds I got when I got paid for unused leave when I retired for the third time!