Oil Industry Propaganda?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back when I used to watch network tv (commercial free for 5 years!) I remember this campaign called "oil, the intelligent heat". At the time oil prices were on the rise but still under $3.00. Later that year prices skyrocketed to $4.00 and the commercials were still airing. You would have had to have been a moron to believe that oil heat was still cheaper than "any other alternative"

The overall message was something like," you work hard for your money so make the intelligent choice, fill up the tank and enjoy all the benefits"

The 'clean coal' commercials and the BP ones about the gulf being the cleanest its ever bene still crack me up

So in essence, he's trying to say that you'll only be saving $10 a month burning pellets vs oil? Don't think so.

That's a great way of putting it.

I'm on the budget plan for electric (have electric baseboard). My budget plan dropped $60/month 12X60 = $720/year. However, that's for all electricity in the house not just for heat.

That is definitely a bunch of crap. I bought my stove in 2008 when oil went through the roof. I installed it myself, bought all the "chimney" parts and the first year bought 4 tons of pellets. When the end of the season came I had broke even. That would be ONE year, kinda far from 50 huh.

That is definitely a bunch of crap. I bought my stove in 2008 when oil went through the roof. I installed it myself, bought all the "chimney" parts and the first year bought 4 tons of pellets. When the end of the season came I had broke even. That would be ONE year, kinda far from 50 huh.

Yes but to anyone doing that in 2009 would have seen the pellet/oil price difference a hell of a lot smaller. Then if like the writer of that article they assumed that would always be the case you do in fact get a very long payback period.

My stove's payback was during the second season. I usually want to say the fist season since I bought it with funds I got when I got paid for unused leave when I retired for the third time!

Status
Not open for further replies.